User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Can't search numbers???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't search numbers???

FYI . . .I can find part numbers, but if you pump in ZL-402 (for the SLP stroker) - notta
same thing gos for just typing 402, 408, etc
Even cam specs will not work
Old 12-10-2004, 04:09 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's the darn character limit set on the search indexes which is the problem... it sees the letter part (ZL) and the number part (402) separately (since they're separated by the dash and it apparently sees dashes as being equivalent to spaces) - both of which are three characters or less. Four characters apparently is the minimum length for a character-string to be indexed, so anything shorter than that will exist in the posts but not in the index of the posts which actually gets searched. Try searching for '2007' and it works, since that number is long enough... Yet try searching for 'SLP' and it's a big "no results", when you can bet 'SLP' has been mentioned a few times on here
Old 12-10-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have noticed this recently and you are right. There must be a limit set, but this was only set recently...

In the past you could search for 3 letter strings, but now you cant and I feel it should be changed back.

Like you said, what if you want to search for...
SLP, STS, LSX, ARP, 408, 427

It sux that you cant.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:05 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Y'know, Brains mentioned a couple days ago that he'd been tweaking various settings recently to try to improve performance... wonder if this was part of that! Personally I do agree with you, that's a pretty big loss of functionality for however much performance improvement
Old 12-11-2004, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah I was trying to search for info on 28" tires last week and I couldn't get anything. I know I had searched for the same thing in the middle of the summer and I had gotten results.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yup, not just a tweak -- I've rewritten the search engine packaged with vBulletin. We've grown past the point the vBulletin folks feel their search is adequate, so I wrote another
Old 12-18-2004, 04:20 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Brains
Yup, not just a tweak -- I've rewritten the search engine packaged with vBulletin. We've grown past the point the vBulletin folks feel their search is adequate, so I wrote another
Oy! Well, nobody can say you aren't earning your keep