Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning with the daiblo sport tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help tuning with the daiblo sport tuner

I just got the diablo sport tuner and i did the tune that is in the programer does anyone have any thoughts on if i should leave the diablo tune or do a custom tune. The car seemed to get a decent gain in power with the factory tune but i was wondering if the programer is set up for a stock car. I have the SLP air lid self ported maf with the screen removed (got this off a 2000 vette, i still have the stock one) 160 t-stat and borla exhaust and 6m. Sugestions on messing with the timing and fuel...... Thanks for any help

Last edited by 02blackws6bolton; 12-10-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02blackws6bolton
I just got the diablo sport tuner and i did the tune that is in the programer does anyone have any thoughts on if i should leave the diablo tune or do a custom tune. The car seemed to get a decent gain in power with the factory tune but i was wondering if the programer is set up for a stock car. I have the SLP air lid self ported maf with the screen removed (got this off a 2000 vette, i still have the stock one) 160 t-stat and borla exhaust and 6m. Sugestions on messing with the timing and fuel...... Thanks for any help
for now the base tune will be pretty close to optimal... I had the exact same mods as you on a 2000 M6 and i put down 338/351 with the base tune... My buddy has 01 M6, same mods, he did 342/357

I wouldn't worry bout fuel or timing just yet, unless you run pretty lean from the MAF...
Old 12-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Teching In

with the ported MAF the car pings pretty bad i have the stock MAF on the car now but if it pings with the ported one what should i do
Old 12-11-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I would just leave the stock maf on there. The gains you see from a ported maf are usually just from leaning out the afr. You can do the same thing with a tune.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Teching In

I have a Diablo Tuner and speaking from my experience the parameter (a/f, timing, etc) don't change much. Its more of a gimmick so that Diablo can say there tuner is better or gives you more value. Only 5% for a/f and 10% for timing (that’s only about 2.5 degrees).
My car began to detonate (pings) on the dyno the other day when it hit over 4500 RPMs on load because the Diablo tune. We looked at the a/f and timing. The timing hit 30 degrees. The tuner can only pull it back 3 degrees (10%). It should be no more that 22 to 25 degrees with a stock cam. Way to high for a stock LS1 with headers. Three other cars that day had the same issue because of aftermarket tuners.

YOUR CAR IS PROBABLY PINGING BECAUSE OF THE DIABLO TUNER HAS ADVANCED YOUR TIMING TOO FAR. IT’S COMMON WITH THE DIABLO TUNER. You have to contact there technical support, get an RMA number and send it back so they can fix the issue.......BUT the best and most safe way to tune a car is to have an experienced mechanic tune it in conjunction with a dyno. Get a custom tune with an LS1 edit. Use the Diablo as a code reader. I have heard from a few experienced tuners that the Diablo tune for the LS1 are not that good. From my experience with it, I have to agree.

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, TALK TO THEM. GOOD LUCK ON TRYING TO FIND A PHONE NUMBER ON THERE WEBSITE. CUSTOMER SERVICE???
Old 12-13-2004, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Where did you buy your Predator from? (hopefully you'll say RWTD) If yes, then if you need a tune, all you do is email your file to James & they tweak it & email it back.

But first things first. If your car is pinging (have you verified this by monitoring Knock Retard with the Predator?) then you need to pull the timing back &/or add fuel until it quits. The Predator's performance tune adds timing & leans the a/f out. I run about 27* of timing on my car with no KR.

Yes it's better to do this on a dyno, but you can run it up & down the freeway watching the KR & stop & make adjustments & run it again until you get her dialed in. Normally whatever KR level you are getting is the amount of timing you need to pull or fuel you need to add. Example - I had 1.5* of KR & added 1.5% fuel & it went away.

A blip of KR when you first go WOT or when you shift is 'normal'. A solid 3.9* of KR usually ends up being 'false knock' & you can disregard it. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RC_Y2KWS6TA
DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, TALK TO THEM. GOOD LUCK ON TRYING TO FIND A PHONE NUMBER ON THERE WEBSITE. CUSTOMER SERVICE???

I have had VERY good luck getting custom tunes from RWTD. I know recently he has had ISP issues and whatnot... but I cannot speak to that.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RC_Y2KWS6TA
The timing hit 30 degrees. The tuner can only pull it back 3 degrees (10%). It should be no more that 22 to 25 degrees with a stock cam. Way to high for a stock LS1 with headers.
I have been running 30-31 degrees of timing since my first tune... no KR, now that i have the cam in, I only get KR from 3.5K to 5K and it's very minimal (1-2 degrees)

For WOT, a sort of "good place" to be is around 28 degrees, if you can get away with more than that, lucky you... less then that and there's still more to be had from the setup...

Also, get on a dyno and see how your A/F is looking and check the sketchiness of your curve... You can correlate the A/F to where Timing gets a little bothered on the graph...
Old 12-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by txhorns281
I have been running 30-31 degrees of timing since my first tune... no KR, now that i have the cam in, I only get KR from 3.5K to 5K and it's very minimal (1-2 degrees)

For WOT, a sort of "good place" to be is around 28 degrees, if you can get away with more than that, lucky you... less then that and there's still more to be had from the setup...

Also, get on a dyno and see how your A/F is looking and check the sketchiness of your curve... You can correlate the A/F to where Timing gets a little bothered on the graph...
In California, the highest octane is 91. You are probably running higher timing because you have 93 octane.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright i just bought a modded car and it has a predator with it. It was bought from RWTD but i dont know how to get there tunes and i dont know if i even can since im not the original owner any help would be great?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

RWTD = http://RunninWithTheDevil.com/