Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF issue part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 06:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MAF issue part 2.

Well after people telling me to get rid of the Granatelli MAF, I was told to get the 02 and up Z06 MAF which is a descreened 85mm MAF. I was told to get the OEM part that Delphi makes and not the LS1 calibrated one. So I bought the piece and the Casper adapter and installed it. It took a long time to keep an idle without me having to give it gas. It would sometimes stay on and then other times I would have to get on the gas. It smelled like it was running very rich. I finally took the car to be tuned since it hadnt had a tune since May of '03. Since then, Ive made lots of changes, the MAF being the most recent one. Anyhow, first thing my tuner (Jason at MTI) said, was that he couldnt tune it. He said that its a LS6 MAF and theyre totally different. There are no tables that transfer over. I told him about the truck tables and he said that you just cant copy and paste a table and hope for it to work. He said there were several tables that the truck has and he would be guessing. He said it would take several hours to get right if he could even get it right. He said that he wasnt going to do it because he didnt want to risk making it any worse. So I asked him, what MAF would you put on here if it were up to you no matter the cost. He replied with the Granatelli 85mm Econo MAF part# GMS350330 Anyhow, what he did to tune for the rest of the car was put a stock screened MAF and made the necessary adjustments. He said that the Granatelli he was recommending me picks up around 10 hp over the stock unit. So what do I do now? I had a lot of you saying to get rid of the Granatelli, which was the LS1 version, and to get the one that I currently have. (Delphi 85mm ZO6 MAF) Then my tuner, Jason at MTI says to get rid of it. What do I do now? What are your thoughts on the 85mm that Granatelli offers?
Old 12-11-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is so totally weak. You should just get HPTuners and program it yourself. It would not be that incredibly hard to put you in the ballpark. No worse than tuning for a Granetelli or even a lid. I would keep the 85mm you have already...
Old 12-12-2004, 01:17 AM
9 Second Club NA

I have no experience with HP Tuners, so buying it and tuning it myself would be a disaster. He said that he never tuned for the MAF I have, so maybe thats why he didnt want to mess with it. I dunno, I just want do the right thing and not have to mess with it again. Im tired of wasting money. Im not blaming anyone, I just wanna do it right. Thanks
Old 12-12-2004, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

there has got to be some tables floatin around that can be plugged in for that thing. what do the z06's use? hopes and dreams? c'mon now. your tuner is just taking the easy way out. you are paying him to tune your car. its your car, not his. stick with the 85mm and find the tables for it.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

I wouldnt know where to look for the correct table and I wouldnt know what Im looking for. From what my tuner says, I cant just pick a table out and expect it to work. Every car/tune likes different tables. He said that picking the right one may take hours. He's never tuned for that MAF, so it would be something totally new for him. Not sure why he has never came across it. What should I do?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

You should scale your MAF table higher to account for the higher airflow, until your trims are right. But since you don't have HPTuners, it is not possible. Your only other choice would be Edit and Autotap, but HPTuners is better.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club NA

What do you suggest I do for someone who doesnt have Autotap, HPTuners, or Edit. I bought my lifetime tune from MTI back in the beginning of '03.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe purchase MAFT, if anyone is still using that thing. Thats about the cheapest way you can do that. It is possible to tune for the MAF, is a shame they can't do that for you
Old 12-13-2004, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well Im planning on hitting the track Friday if the weather holds out, so I need to make a decision fast. I dont have the money to buy any kind of program. I dont have a laptop, so Autotap and Edit are already out of the question. Besides that, I already paid my $500 for a lifetime tune. If there is a specific table that will work, then I guess I can call my tuner up, tell him about it, and if he can make it work. But if there is no specific one and I would have to go through all of them, I dont think he's wanting to take the time to do that. What he suggested I do is sell the one I just bought, and buy the 85mm Granatelli part # GMS350330.

Here is a direct link to the part:

http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...?ProductID=264
Old 12-13-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had Mike Kleman of Rapid Motorsports tune my car with an LS6 85mm Descreened MAF on it. Mikey recommended to me the Pace LS1 Calibrated 85mm LS6 MAF. He tuned it on my current setup and it runs great. He did not have any tuning problems while he was working on my car. Mine is a Delphi part just like yours. Where did you purchase yours?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club NA

I ordered mine from GMPartsDirect.com. Its a stock unit, so I guess its calibrated for a LS6. Dont quote me on this, but I think my tuner was saying that I could get it from Pace or somewhere that calibrates them for a LS6. But then I had some people on here say not to mess with the ones that were calibrated for the LS1. I dunno, Im getting really confused over all of this because I lots of you telling me one thing and then my tuner telling me another. I personally dont have any knowledge or experience with this so I have to get opinions.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club NA

So with my limitations, whats the best thing to do? I dont know who's advice to take and I have no personal experience or knowledge in this field, so I cant make my own decision.

Last edited by BlackBeaSSt; 12-16-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

This is the way I see it: no matter what MAF you get, you are probably going to have to tune it. You won't see a flow difference switching to a different MAF. So why waste the cash? Just my .02.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

Well, I dont have money nor the knowledge to use MAFT, LS1 Edit, HPTuners, Autotap, etc. Also, Ive already paid my $500 for a lifetime tune, so theres no need to buy LS1 Edit. Then on top of all that, I dont have a laptop, so LS1 Edit, Autotap, etc. would be useless buying. My tuner says that he's never tuned for the MAF I have which is the 02-up Delphi ZO6/LS6 85mm MAF, so obviously, he hasnt taken the time to figure one out. So I highly doubt that he's going to spend it on mine if he's been doing this for quite some time and hasnt come across this one. My tuner says to get rid of it and buy the 85mm Granatelli, part # GMS350330. Here is a direct link to the part.

http://www.texas-speed.com/item_det...p?ProductID=264

My tuner is Jason at MTI and he's a really reputable/respectable tuner. I dont know what to do, that is why I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention and get a 2nd opinion. I dont expect to get any more flow out of one, I just want one thats either calibrated for best performance for my setup or one that isnt calibrated, but can be calibrated with known tables.

Im limited what to do because whatever goes on there, Jason at MTI will be doing the tune for it.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:18 AM
Launching!

Ill tell you what I will do for you. Im going to call your local police department and have them come over with the loudspeaker and say......"PUT THE MAF DOWN SLOWLY!! NOW STEP AWAY FROM THE MAF SLOWLY!! PUT YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS AND LEAVE THE MAF ALONE SIR!!.. After all the MAF related topics and all that I have possibly could have jammed my brain with Ive come to one conclusion. Its a GIANT headache!! So many different things can happen with your application and so many factors play different roles, its worth 1 hp! no its worth 10hp!, and you drive this way, and its hot, or cold, and screen this, and buy then tune that, but it could be bad or wrong MAF.....?!?!?!?!? By the time you go through that giant hay stack, and found that tiny little pain in the *** fu**in needle you could have just used an original stock MAF all by itself nothing done to it at all. You will save yourself countless headaches and worrying about your car. Good Luck whatever you decide to do!
Old 12-17-2004, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a life time tune with MTI and they recommend the 85mm GMAF then I would sell the one you have and get the one they can do a tune with. I've been running the 85mm GMAF for 2 years and my tunner Greg at Livernois Motor Sport's didn't have any problem with the tune.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Unless your making 500+ RWHP, keep your STOCK MAF!!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I had no trouble with my MAF, had it on boht my cars, I don't get it how some people have HUGE headaches with them and some have no problems whatsoever
Old 12-18-2004, 07:15 AM
9 Second Club NA

Well I went to the track last night and my neighbor let me borrow his stock MAF. Of course, it runs smooth and healthy with it on there because my tuner tuned for a stock MAF because he couldnt do anything for the one I had. I needed other adjustments done to the car, but couldnt do them without the car running right. Anyhow, I tempted to just sell the one I have and buy a stock one. The only thing is, I plan to do a 90mm intake and throttle body in the future when I do a big cam. I assume then I'll need a bigger MAF and lid. So for now, would a stock MAF be the way to go? Sorry to beat this to death.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Well I went to the track last night and my neighbor let me borrow his stock MAF. Of course, it runs smooth and healthy with it on there because my tuner tuned for a stock MAF because he couldnt do anything for the one I had. I needed other adjustments done to the car, but couldnt do them without the car running right. Anyhow, I tempted to just sell the one I have and buy a stock one. The only thing is, I plan to do a 90mm intake and throttle body in the future when I do a big cam. I assume then I'll need a bigger MAF and lid. So for now, would a stock MAF be the way to go? Sorry to beat this to death.

Yes I would stick with the stock MAF since that's what it's tuned for until you go with the 90mm setup.