Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Snow is here and got to test my Yokohama Ice Guards

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow is here and got to test my Yokohama Ice Guards

I got out in 3 inches of snow and slush and the Yokohama Ice Guards IG10 did pretty good. They definately grip better and handle better than my Pirelli PZero or BFG KDW in the snow.

I sold my winter car in March (99' Firebird) and bought some 16x8 firebird rims and Yokohama Ice Guard IG10 to go with them for this winter. I have to say that they did better than I thought they would in snow. I think that is because they suck in dry conditions compared to the Pirrelis. Anyhow, for any interested they did fine and I do not expect any white knuckle driving this winter.

If I could do it different? I might do the performance ice guards but then I only paid 360.00 for all 4 rims and tires (tires are new). They are also only speed rated for 98 or 99 mph.

So, if you are in need of Mud & Snow tires then I would recommend these for a less expensive alternative.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some German Fulda tires, and I too was surprised by how well the RWD did! You certainly can have fun when you want to, though!
Old 12-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Teching In

hey action jack, im about a half hour from you, i was just wondering where you picked those tires and rims up at.
thanks, Bryan
Old 12-12-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zck2385
hey action jack, im about a half hour from you, i was just wondering where you picked those tires and rims up at.
thanks, Bryan
I will try to keep it short...

The rims were from an e-bay auction I won for 4 rims with used Nittos and I sold the Nittos and kept the rims. I bought the rims+tires for 200.00 and sold the tires for 140.00, so I only paid 60.00 for 4 16x8 rims from a firebird.

Then the tires I got at Discount Tire (sponsor here I beleive). This was a two fold deal where I bought 4 Pirreli Pzero for my 17" WS6 rims and then 4 Yokohama Ice Guards for the 16" rims. Since I bought the snow tires in Spring I was able to haggle down to 300.00 (after 2 price cuts) and I got the Pirellis for 600.00 (otherwise I would have done BFG KDW and KDWS but the price would have been too high for the BFG).

Quick Reply: Snow is here and got to test my Yokohama Ice Guards