Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Headlight motor, still not working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Headlight motor, still not working.

I realize this may not be the best forum, but for exposure purposes I'd kindly request that it be left here for the time being please mods!! This problem is really pissing me off and need some help.

Ok, so the headlight motor went out about a month ago. Got in a wreck 3 weeks ago so I just got the car back this week. So I go to replace the motor today, and I get through the swap just fine. I know the motor worked when removed, and I replaced the plastic gear with a Bfranker metal gear. It rotated just fine after the gear swap and all. I install it, hook it up, and test it out. Nothing. No prime, no whine, nothing. I swap the fuses for the motor on the passanger side motor which is working fine, and it still doesn't do ****. I'm lost here. The same wiring harness connects to the fog lights, and those work just fine. WTF is going on here? No I don't have a voltmeter, otherwise I would have checked for power and such.

Whats interesting to note, is after not being used for 3 weeks, the motor worked for 3 days until last nite when it took a **** again. Then it hasn't worked since. Now, even with the new motor it hasn't worked. Could it be a bad ground? I didn't think it was that since the foglights work. Anyhow, help me out here folks. Any thoughts? TIA.

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 12-13-2004 at 04:01 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:58 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

U have the black box right by the the drivers h/l that controls the h/l motors.
I bet its bad,mine went and I had to replace it.

I wouldve thought a smart guy like u who thinks making a 2 piece timing cover is easy mightve figured this out
Old 12-13-2004, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

I went through two motors before I found that the harness was corroded. The harness that the motor connects to was basically gone. I replaced it with Painless weather tight connections and haven't had any problems yet. But make sure the harness is getting power before you start cutting and splicing.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

JS, are you referrin to the fuse box on the drivers side, that has two fuses for both headlights? If so, it controls the passenger side just fine, only the driver's side is bad, regardless of what fuse is in there. Would that denote a bad unit? A smart guy like me still has areas where I need help....and car electronics is admittedly one of mine

And hey.....you fabbed up the two piece unit before anyone else did afaik. I can't/won't take that from you. I just think Nate is charging too much for them

Casper, I took a pretty good look at the harness, but everything else thats on that harness is working perfectly. I will try and borrow a voltmeter to see if there's any power even getting to the connection tomorrow or the next day.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:19 AM
JS
10 Second Club

No not the fuse block,The control box...Its a thin black box clipped in right by the fuse boxes on the drivers side.
Sorta rectangular looking with a connector going to it,worth a try...

I except your opinion....
Cya Cyphur...
Old 12-13-2004, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

I have the same problem. I havent tried replacing the motor yet because I dont think thats the problem. It got stuck up once before, but then it started working again. Then 2 weeks after it started working again, it got stuck up and never fixed itself. I dont think motors die and come back to life, so Im thinking it has to be something else.

Do you have a part number for that little black box your talking about that controls the headlights? I would like to just go in to the $tealership and order that part without talking to them about whats wrong, they might try to swindle me.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:55 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Call Jay Fisher Pontiac
1-856-358-6611
Old 12-13-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

JS, I just went out there and checked it out, and saw the box you were talkin about. It has "Guide" stamped onto it, with two connections plugged in. Would any harm come by switching the two connections? Wonder if it would change which headlight would work then LOL.

Edit - NateLS1, the part # is 16525685, and gmpartsdirect has it listed for $123.09. They say dealers list is $205.15. Thats an expensive fix. I'm going to be callin around to some junk yards to see if I can get a better deal. I have a motor that apparently works just fine I can sell to recoup some of that money lol.

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 12-13-2004 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Replaced Headlight motor, still not working.