Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Light

Well, my security light keeps coming on when I try to start my car. Sometimes it starts, and sometimes i have to try 4-5 times waiting 3 minutes in between each try to get the thing to start. What do I have to do/replace to fix this? any help is appreciated.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

i had the problem and i dont think you can do it your self.....i took my car to the damn dealership to get it fix and they fix it in one day...only cost me 300 bucks =( but i was happy after my car would start each time =) i know they change the ign. where the key goes and i got a new key also...they told me that the brushes inside of it was causing the problem. i hope this helps
oh and if you dont get it fix ASAP it will get worst....
Old 12-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

I had the VATS deleted with HP Tuners and that took care of it for me. There is also a mod you can do with a resistor placed somewhere in the column. Search for vats and it will explain it better.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, you can delete it using tuning software as mentioned before. or you can measure the resistance of the "chip" on your key, and splice in a resistor(s) of the same value into the appropriate wire in the steering column. I forget which one it is, but if you search, you will find it.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do the fixes mentioned above, but to answer your question, your ignition cylinder is going bad. You have to have it replaced to fix it and keep your system factory.

Dealers will charge between 300-500 to do it.

I got mine done at a salvage yard that employes a mechanic for $125.00
Old 12-14-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might wanna try a new key first, its a lot cheaper and u will prob need a new one anyway. the little piece on the key may not be making good connection from being too worn out
Old 12-14-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
might wanna try a new key first, its a lot cheaper and u will prob need a new one anyway. the little piece on the key may not be making good connection from being too worn out

If you do have to get a new/used cylinder, it will come with the keys made for it as part of the price. But yes you should definitely try your spare key first, or get a new one made and try it first. But if it is your cylinder, you will just have to throw away that shiny new key you had made. I speak from experience.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

but i thought there are like 14 codes for the keys and you can get the cyl for the key. might have been told wrong but tahts what i heard
Old 12-14-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the acutal problem.
The VATS uses a resistor in the key, if it matches up, it singels the BCM to proceed with engine start squence.
Now there's two tiny white wires going to the key cylinder which is then connected to two metal tabs inside which when the key is put in, it makes contact with the resistor (the black plastic piece with two metal tabs sticking out of it, one per side)

Now the problem is one or two of the white wires have broke off the key cylinder from many starting times from rotating alot.
The dealer installs a new key cylinder and that's why it costs $300. A new key is included and the steering column has to be dropped and disconnected to get the new key cylinder in.
A few I know went far as replacing the key cylinder and using black tape to secure the wires to the key cylinder so it won't break off at the solder from many times turning the igition.

For me, I just put in the correct resistor value and unplugged the connection going to the key cylinder and plugged it into the resistor clip and tied it away.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
but i thought there are like 14 codes for the keys and you can get the cyl for the key. might have been told wrong but tahts what i heard
That's for making an duplicate key. I don't think GM would have invidual part #'s for each key cylinder. Otherwise thevies would purchase every one of them and have a set of keys they can experimet with.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

true...