Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y Pipe Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Y Pipe Help

recently purchased the pacesetter longtubes and the pacesetter off road y-pipe. well now that its on every time i give it gas to like just play with it. i hear a "THUD" form under the drivers side floorpan and u can hear it outside. it sounds awful. any way is there anyway for this to go away? are these y-pipes garbage? if i buy another y-pipe will it go away? please help
Old 12-13-2004, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try the Mufflex y-pipe hanger that Thunderracing sells. Here is a thread:https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/229211-mufflex-ls1-hr-stainless-steel-hanger.html
Old 12-14-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks. maybe you can help me with something else. im hearing a chirping noise when i give it gas. it started after the longtubes were installed. i'll give it gas for a rev and it sounds like a turbo spooling. that would be cool but i dont have a turbo. ur car runs good 12.5
i ran a 12.9 with loudmouth drag radials and a couple bolt ons. thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

they ypipe if fine you just need some real motor mounts the wont let me motor rotate a lot every time you stomp on it. u can also adjust the pipe or just pry down on it. they tucked it up there so it wouldnt scrape. as for the other noise, who did the headers? i bet u have a gasket leak somewhere
Old 12-14-2004, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
thanks. maybe you can help me with something else. im hearing a chirping noise when i give it gas. it started after the longtubes were installed. i'll give it gas for a rev and it sounds like a turbo spooling. that would be cool but i dont have a turbo. ur car runs good 12.5
i ran a 12.9 with loudmouth drag radials and a couple bolt ons. thanks for the help.

If you kept your A.I.R. system it might be your check valves fluttering or a leak on your AIR fittings.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default headers

thanks for the help. so the bump will help? if so then im getting it. a buddy of my dads put the headers on. hopefully its just the A.I.R. cause i kept that. is it costly to fix? i really want to get rid of that noise. where can i get the motor mounts from? are they expensive?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

motor mounts are about 50 bucks but they are a bitch to intall but WAY worth it. i got mine from thunder racing. u can find if it is the AIR just take it off and put a block off plate on there. or when u hear the noise open the hood and see if its coming from the AIR system. the motor mounts took longer to install than the headers but the biggest probelm was not having the right tools to drill out the rivets in the stock. that took about 30 min longer than it should have and trying to get the **** lined up took about an extra 3 hours. it just would not go back in place and i dont know why. finally got it. the header install was faster than the motor mounts, that tripped me out
Old 12-14-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

good deal. im going to have to get that. i noticed ur 60ft times are high hfor your mods. im working on my suspension right now. im pulling 1.99 60ft times. i got a lot of work to do. i want low 12's without any major mototr work
Old 12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Teching In

I say put a piece of heater hose inbetween the y pipe and the floor board. I heard this works well and a helluva lot cheaper! I suppose the motor mounts will work, but damn, thats a major task there. Give the heater hose thing a shot!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

motor mounts arent too big a deal, as long has you have patients, and i do not lol. yeah the 60' times SUCK. thats with the factory clutch and it wasnt letting me launch too well. i was leaving at 1200, that is about as high as i could without slipping. plus i got real bad tire spin if the clutch grabbed. it wason test and tune night and the track wasnt preped. all us 6spee cars were having a hard time, and it was cold. but it was still fun. with the spec stage 3 in there know i KNOW i could leave the line a hell of a lot faster. the suspension has been replaced, it does hook up good but that clutch really messed me up lol