Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No 3rd or 4th gear in my A4

Old 12-15-2004, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default No 3rd or 4th gear in my A4

Driving home I noticed the TCC what leting the car rev higher than it usually does. I came to a stop sign and started again the car was fine 1 and 2 then reved up with no go in what would be 3rd. I checked the fluid a lil low not much added to it , Still nothing. Fluid color was fine Converter still works good trans never got hot and no weird smells. Just no 3rd or 4th gears. Please help Thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

The 3/4 clutch is burned up. This is the weak link in this transmission. The fix it to remove and tear down and beef it up with a few mods for increased strenght and durability. There is a long list of things to do to keep it on the road and off the lift. If you want a list PM me and I can fix u up with all the goodies to get it right.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:34 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Not a Trans Am and no idea if this is relevant to them, but 7 months ago I lost 3rd and 4th on an A4 transmission... ended up being that the transmission control computer module had somehow gotten screwed up; replaced it and everything went back to normal.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Similiar situation as ACW mentioned... on a non F-Body (Honda CRV), my father-in-law lost 3rd and 4th gear one day. Turned out a solenoid went south. Replaced it at the dealership under warranty and it was fixed.

Hope yours is something like that...

Marc

Search this Thread