New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Corvette or Camaro SS?
Corvette 1998-2000 yr models
46.96%
Camaro SS 2001-2002 yr models
53.04%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Corvette or Camaro SS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette or Camaro SS?

Well I was in an accident and my car is totaled. It happened a couple of weeks ago. I am really sad about it. My car was my pride & joy. So I am going to finish paying what’s left on the pay off to the bank. Then save up a bit for a good down payment on my next ride. I was sure that I wanted a 01-02 SS, Z28 Camaro. But I got to thinking. I have always wanted a Corvette. So I looked at some prices. Seems I could buy a 98-00 Corvette for about the same price range I can buy a 01-02 SS for. The mileage on the vette maybe a little higher though. So I would like to ask what would you pick & please tell me why if you can. Thank you for your time.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:54 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've always wanted the Vette, get the Vette.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:18 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Go with the Vette, I have always liked they way they looked, and you really cant beat the prices that most of them are going for.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

id go with the z. i read that the vette's have more drivetrain loss. but then again the vette's are lighter so maybe the drivetrain loss will be compensated by the weight? i like vette's. hope this helped.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

I haven’t looked into insurance yet. I figured the difference between Camaro SS & Corvette wasn’t alot as long as the base price I would be paying was about the same. But yet again I haven’t looked yet. I won’t be getting another car for a couple of months anyways. I need to finish pay off on the one that’s wrecked then save up for down payment on another ride. So I have time to look around and get a good feel of prices. I have an advantage over the Camaro though. I have had a 4th gen & know what to look for & exactly what I want in one (LS6 intake, 28lb injectors, cam for lower torque, ZO6 clutch, etc). That’s why I want a 01-02 Camaro SS or Z28.

I haven’t spent much time looking at the vettes but I know they have basically the same engines, tranny. I need a good resource that shows specs of changes in the vettes from 98-00 in the engine/driveline etc.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

go with the vette. Forget about performance. Are you married? If not, you will pull away from the clubs with more women if you get the vette. every college kid, including me, have a f-body. Vettes turn heads! And vettes pull hoes. Get the vette. I dont know. Just my .02!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stevensLS1
id go with the z. i read that the vette's have more drivetrain loss. but then again the vette's are lighter so maybe the drivetrain loss will be compensated by the weight? i like vette's. hope this helped.
They might lose a little more hp through the drivetrain, but they gain a little more HP due to true dual exhaust so it all evens out. In most cases the corvettes are cheaper on insurance than LS1 F-bodies. Also, there is NO COMPARISON between the Corvette and the F-body. Although they share the same engine, they are worlds different. I'm a previous LS1 Trans Am and I can honestly say I've never missed my f-body, not even for 1 day.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by landonew
go with the vette. Forget about performance. Are you married? If not, you will pull away from the clubs with more women if you get the vette. every college kid, including me, have a f-body. Vettes turn heads! And vettes pull hoes. Get the vette. I dont know. Just my .02!

Just wanted to say your post has me laughing. The way you put it was great. lol . Yeah I am single & have no kids. So its appealing especially put that way.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insurance on the C5 is going to be the same or even a bit less than the f-body! The C5 is in a lesser risk category believe it or not.

You'll love the C5, go out and drive one and you'll be sold. The complete package is just awesome. I love everything about my C5, and couldn't imagine ever going back to an f-body now (and I've owned three of them, including a 95 TA, 95 Formula and 98 Formula)
Old 12-18-2004, 04:29 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Justin , you sure do get around! Patman has an interesting point about the C5s , I had an '87 'Vette coupe and insurance was sky high on that mug!This was with a clean driving record ,too. I've never owned a C5 but if Patman is saying it will the same it's worth looking into then.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:55 AM
TECH Veteran

The Vette is in a totally different class. I'd go with the 'vette, unless you could find a comparitively priced, heavily modded SS.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Logic
Well I was in an accident and my car is totaled. It happened a couple of weeks ago. I am really sad about it. My car was my pride & joy. So I am going to finish paying what’s left on the pay off to the bank. Then save up a bit for a good down payment on my next ride. I was sure that I wanted a 01-02 SS, Z28 Camaro. But I got to thinking. I have always wanted a Corvette. So I looked at some prices. Seems I could buy a 98-00 Corvette for about the same price range I can buy a 01-02 SS for. The mileage on the vette maybe a little higher though. So I would like to ask what would you pick & please tell me why if you can. Thank you for your time.
sorry to hear about your loss! your car was nice. i say just look around and find exactly what you want. dont settle. if you want a vette, get one.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Go with the vette. I've been in a lot of vettes and they are awesome. The camaro is a poor mans corvette. One last question... why do you have to pay off the rest of the loan if the car was totalled? I've never been in this situation so I don't know.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SCamaroS
Go with the vette. I've been in a lot of vettes and they are awesome. The camaro is a poor mans corvette. One last question... why do you have to pay off the rest of the loan if the car was totalled? I've never been in this situation so I don't know.
Its just the insurance paid what it was worth today. And being I got it & it had 48k miles and when it was totaled it had 70k miles that made it worth less. I also didnt have the car but maybe 8-9 months so I didnt have much paid off on it already. Thats my guess hwy I have to pay some still. Its like 1200 dollars + or - a little. So I am not to upset.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

I like them both, but I must say if I had a choice I would go with the 02 SS. I see lots of C5s around but not many SS Camaros.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
I like them both, but I must say if I had a choice I would go with the 02 SS. I see lots of C5s around but not many SS Camaros.
That's because this is going on the 3rd year the F-body has been dead. I still see plenty LS1's around here too. Wait till after the C6 has been around a while, I guarantee you won't see as many C5's as you do now.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

i say go with the ss as well! i have probably only seen 2 or 3 reall ss's where i live in the past year! i see a c5 atleast 3 times a day! they are everywhere. but a true ss, not to many around. just my thought, but if you have your mind set on a vette get it, i am just saying what i would do lol
Old 12-18-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

I say get a Corvette. I had a chance to buy a 98 really cheap a year or so ago, and I keep kicking myself in the *** for not buying it. The only reason I still have my Camaro is because I bought it in 2000 with 19k miles on it, and I just went over 36k about a month ago. But if I saw the right deal on a vette...

The only reason to buy an SS instead of a vette is if this will be your only vehicle and/or you absolutely have to be able to seat more than two people.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Ask yourself this, what gets more looks from the girls, an F-body or a smooth *** Vette! Go with the Vette!
Old 12-18-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02blackZ
Ask yourself this, what gets more looks from the girls, an F-body or a smooth *** Vette! Go with the Vette!

If you can afford it get the vette. Insurance was cheaper (for me at least) on the corvette.

Quick Reply: Corvette or Camaro SS?