Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting duals soon...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting duals soon...

if it were YOU, would you get 3'' or 2.5''? and which would you prefer: Dynomax bullets or Flo-Pro Twisters?

im going to just get dumps to begin with to see how i like it, or how unbarable it may be, but i figure i will most likely get them taken out the back in the future
also, how many of you with headers actually 'needed' a tune? what does the car act like if its not "running right"?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

I would get 3in twisters, mainly because thats what I have. If you plan on getting a cam or doing something more then headers, get 3in. If you are stopping here then 2.5in should be enough.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cefiro
I would get 3in twisters, mainly because thats what I have. If you plan on getting a cam or doing something more then headers, get 3in. If you are stopping here then 2.5in should be enough.
how do you like them? do you have dumps also? how do you feel about that setup overall?
thanks
Old 12-17-2004, 11:02 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I love my duals but would recommend a quieter muffler than dynomax bullets. Do go 3" though.
When I installed my LT's I didn't get a tune and the car ran great with good gains and no codes. All cars are different though, you may run alittle rich and some have o2 problems.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

PaceSetter LT with 3 inch duals and 12 inch bullets. Two words KICKS ***!!! If you plan to keep modding go 3 inch. You will love the sound, and no rasp. Take your time, do your research and no matter what you do you will be happy if you have patience. Good Luck.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am going to do run duals soon, out the back. I have two sweet thunders to go on, with a magnaflow X. Will be 3"off the QTP's down to the 2.5" X, with the rest being 2.5". I do have plans for a cam later, hopefully within the next year. I doubt the 2.5" will hurt any performance. I was told that 2.5" is good for up to 500 HP, so on a cam car, it will be fiine. Now, when I do the H/C, then maybe Ill go to 3".
Old 12-18-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got TSP's 3" duals system w/ 18" bullets on a lowered Formula.

To put it bluntly, I just bought sweet thunder mufflers and will be going to the exhaust shop to have my setup reworked.

Sound is deep, but I prefer open cutout. Makes a farty whomping noise at around 1900 rpm in EVERY gear and my clearance is two inches max.

Very unhappy with the setup, and I'll basically have to fab it up custom to something better. Stay away from bullets for a daily driver also.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5POINT7

To put it bluntly, I just bought sweet thunder mufflers and will be going to the exhaust shop to have my setup reworked.

Sound is deep, but I prefer open cutout. Makes a farty whomping noise at around 1900 rpm in EVERY gear and my clearance is two inches max.

Very unhappy with the setup, and I'll basically have to fab it up custom to something better. Stay away from bullets for a daily driver also.

hmmm, what bullets come on the TSP setup? what all are you unhappy with exactly? and why do you say stay away from bullest for a DD?
i dont think i want this "farty noise" you speak of lmao, i know what youre talking about though
Old 12-18-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cefiro
looking at your sig...you have exactly what i will have, so im very interested in how well you like it, and your over all thoughts on the headers and lane's duals
Old 12-18-2004, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He hates his, i love mine

Lowered '00 SS 3" TSP duals W/18" dynomax bullets & LT's. I might not have the most clearance possible but mine tucked up nicely, i prob have 4-5" at the lowest spot.

i love the deep low tone they put out, If you want quiet dont get these.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

2.5 inch pipes would be able to handle a camed ls1 with relative ease i would think. i could be wrong.

each car is different with the stock tune. some dont have any issues, or minimal issues, others reject lt's with aftermarket exhaust including td's but honestly i think without a cam or many other mods the stock tune should be able to handle it fine for a while. however...to get th emost power and longevity out of it id suggest a tune. even a mail order tune to tsp or one of our other sponsers (i mention tsp cause jason has been very very helpful to me with information i was in need of) would probably suffice and get the job done with minimal mods.

over the bullets or the twisters id suggest a set of the sweet chamber mufflers, after hearing them in person, i was attempting to NOT convence my self to go back to td's cause my car is a frequent daily driver...i cannot put it off any longer. the sweet chambers sound absolutely sick in person the sound clips DO NOT give them any justice at all. the bullets and twisters sound good dont get me wrong but the tone of the sweet chambers is absolutely sick imo.

at any rate, what ever you decide to do...even with a cammed ls1 (unles its a very large cam) i think 2.5 inch would do fine, but if money isnt' an object and shops can bend them for you (unless you are shooting for some lanes or tsp true duals) id say go with 3 icnh. but the 2.5 's would suffice just fine and wont hang up too much IF ANY hp at all.

Best of Luck to you! when you get a video of soundclip when yo uare done send them to ls1sounds!

Travis
Old 12-18-2004, 06:33 AM
11 Second Truck Club

My car has track numbers to prove that going with 2.5" out the back did not slow me down at all. Not one bit. I'm very close, if not alittle over 400rwhp. I may have to try these sweet thunders for my dumped setup. I hear so many good things.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
hmmm, what bullets come on the TSP setup? what all are you unhappy with exactly? and why do you say stay away from bullest for a DD?
i dont think i want this "farty noise" you speak of lmao, i know what youre talking about though
I don't know what bullets come on the TSP setup, it doesn't say anywhere on the website or on the actual system itself. I just don't like the sound of bullets, that's why I don't think they should be on a DD. Too farty, like said above.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
He hates his, i love mine

Lowered '00 SS 3" TSP duals W/18" dynomax bullets & LT's. I might not have the most clearance possible but mine tucked up nicely, i prob have 4-5" at the lowest spot.

i love the deep low tone they put out, If you want quiet dont get these.
What springs are you using? I'm Eibach prokit w/ worn out stock shocks. My car sits really low (like sportline low).

As far as clearance, the guy that put mine on isn't very talented. I believe that you have 4-5" of clearance, it's very possible. I just went to a terrible exhaust shop to have it done and paid the price.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What springs are you using? I'm Eibach prokit w/ worn out stock shocks. My car sits really low (like sportline low).

As far as clearance, the guy that put mine on isn't very talented. I believe that you have 4-5" of clearance, it's very possible. I just went to a terrible exhaust shop to have it done and paid the price.
Im not sure what springs i have or how much im lowered, just that my car sits lower than any stock camaro. when i got under the car to put on my LCA's i noticed the springs are a navy blue color. they are cleaner than the rest of the suspenion stuff so i figured they are newer meaning they have been replaced.

While i was at TSP getting my headers and Stall put in i had them put the duals on. they did a very good job getting me clearance. I'll take some pic this afternoon.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
Im not sure what springs i have or how much im lowered, just that my car sits lower than any stock camaro. when i got under the car to put on my LCA's i noticed the springs are a navy blue color. they are cleaner than the rest of the suspenion stuff so i figured they are newer meaning they have been replaced.

While i was at TSP getting my headers and Stall put in i had them put the duals on. they did a very good job getting me clearance. I'll take some pic this afternoon.
post 'em up in here
Old 12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty sure the TSP true duals come with 18" bullets. Like stated above if you dont' want a really loud exhaust plan on getting other mufflers to replace the bullets. I love the way the bullets sound but after a hour road trip i can barely hear when i get out of my car. They sound amazing at WOT, drone is terrible when cruising and they make everything rattle inside of my car. I previously had pacesetter ory with hooker catback and nothing in my car rattled. For those with sweet thunders are you putting dumps on the mufflers and how much do they drone when crusing? I've listened to all the sweet thunder clips on LS1sounds.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

the bullet mufflers tsp comes with are exactly like dynomax bullets and whatever other bullet mufflers you would buy....straight through with holes on the sides.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Launching!

From what i have read on the boards, the 2.5" would be sufficient if you were going to keep a stock CI motor and you can get them over the axle when deciding to go out the back.

If you are going to do some drastic performance measures in the future, I would suggest to go ahead and go 3", though i have not heard of anyone going over the axle, but you could go under and put some flanges on for easy removal.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I would have went with 2.5"