Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 not fitting with 4l80e spacer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default th400 not fitting with 4l80e spacer

I am trying to put my th400 with a normal th400 converter, stock 2000 flexplate, and 4l80e truck spacer into my 2000 ls1. The problem I am having is the spacer pushes the flexplate out too far and when I tried to bolt the housing up the converter was being pushed against the flexplate. I think I caught it before it did any damage to the pump (hopefully).

My question is.. the spacer seems to push the flexplate out too far (about 1 7/16 from the edge of the block to the flexplate and the th400 converter only seats 1 3/16 (iirc) from the back of the trans bellhousing.. so does the 6.0L flywheel invert back or something to make up the difference? I know this spacer should work but it seems to be pushing everything waaay too far forward when it only needs to go forward a little bit.

Also those of you using washers where are you putting them..? I am kind of scared using washers.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT...trying to get it ready for an after Christmas race and we are stumped. (It's always the little things)
Old 12-19-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Any help? Anyone have a picture or part number for a 6.0L flexplate?
Old 12-19-2004, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the flywheel on first, then the spacer..........the spacer is only there to take the space of a non-LS1 converter. The Ls1 TC has a longer pilot on it, thats y you need the spacer when using a non Ls1 TC
Old 12-20-2004, 05:01 AM
TECH Regular

Wow.. I feel dumb now.. oh well. Thanks for helping me. I switched the spacer around and bolted everything up. The flexplate to converter spacing was a little over 1/8" with no converter shimming, so I just bolted it to my stock flexplate on the other set of bolt holes. I drilled another hole in my stock shifter bracket, and mounted it on the trans. Just took it for a test drive and everything seems cool. New stall is way looser feeling than my old tci SF3000.

So the parts I used were:

short tailshaft forward man vb th400
99 flexplate
4l80e spacer and longer bolts
custom driveshaft
th400 converter
stock shifter
spohn TA
energy trans mount spaced up
stock lt1 m6 crossmember (direct bolt in, zero modification for lt1 to ls1 swap guys )
madman dipstick
stock engine to trans bolts with washers

One quick question. I really quickly tried to bolt up my lt1 inspection cover, but it doesn't seem like it will fit without a little trimming.. are any of you guys running inspection covers or do you all leave them off?
Old 12-20-2004, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aram
Wow.. I feel dumb now.. oh well. Thanks for helping me. I switched the spacer around and bolted everything up. The flexplate to converter spacing was a little over 1/8" with no converter shimming, so I just bolted it to my stock flexplate on the other set of bolt holes. I drilled another hole in my stock shifter bracket, and mounted it on the trans. Just took it for a test drive and everything seems cool. New stall is way looser feeling than my old tci SF3000.

So the parts I used were:

short tailshaft forward man vb th400
99 flexplate
4l80e spacer and longer bolts
custom driveshaft
th400 converter
stock shifter
spohn TA
energy trans mount spaced up
stock lt1 m6 crossmember (direct bolt in, zero modification for lt1 to ls1 swap guys )
madman dipstick
stock engine to trans bolts with washers

One quick question. I really quickly tried to bolt up my lt1 inspection cover, but it doesn't seem like it will fit without a little trimming.. are any of you guys running inspection covers or do you all leave them off?

an easy mistake......dont sweat it dude.........Glad you got it all straightened out.....as for th inspection cover, leave it off.......the converter will run much cooler with out it anyways

Quick Reply: th400 not fitting with 4l80e spacer