Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

siphoning gas?

Old 12-18-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default siphening gas?

does anyone know a way to siphen gas without sucking on the hose, that ****'s extremely harsh...I almost threw up.... I'm trying to empty my gas tank before I drop it to replace the fuel pump...anyone know a way?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Default siphening gas?

does anyone know a way to siphen gas without sucking on the hose, that ****'s extremely harsh...I almost threw up.... I'm trying to empty my gas tank before I drop it to replace the fuel pump...anyone know a way?
Old 12-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Launching!

If you have access to an air compressor you can do it that way. Open the gas cap take a rag wrap it around the opening around the siphon tube. objective is to seal the tank as best possible. take the air nozzle a pressurize the tank just a bit. no need to add alot of air just enough to force the fuel out. Wala!!
Old 12-18-2004, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1genCamaro

You can get a reverse inline pump and put hose out each side of it, just slide the hose down into the tank, power the pump and out comes the gas.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah just get a pump, I would think you could undo your fuel filter and let it drain out that line to.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:44 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah undo your quick connect by the fuel filter hook up a hose to route it to a gas safe container and turn your ignition switch on if you still have power. You will have to do it several times but it beats sucking gas LOL! I did mine with about half a tank and it was no real problem used a jack to hold most of the weight and took my time so don't try to empty it completely.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F* that, drink that gasoline. It will fu*k you up real good.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a shaker siphon
Old 12-19-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

i know of 2 ways you can siphon gas without sucking on the hose or getting a pump. i know both work since i swallowed alot of gas once doing it by sucking on the tube and not paying attention.....

1) if the tank that you are siphoning is full enough, push the hose in all the way, seal the end with your thumb, and pull it out with a fast action keeping your thumb over the hole. then quickly shove the hose back in the tank while you take your thumb off the hose, covering it again before you pull it out again. it takes some practice, but if you get the timing right, and manage to keep the tank end of the hose covered in gas it will work. the same principle works with a glass of water or soda with a straw in it, push the straw all the way down, pull it up quickly with your thumb over the end, push it back down quickly with your thumb off, repeat and the fluid will travel straight up the straw. i've never heard of the 'shaker siphon' that that Tudds mentioned, but i'm almost sure it works the same way.

2) put your siphon hose in the tank, and then put another hose in the tank. then take a shop rag or whatever and seal up the filler neck and the hoses. then either blow REALLY hard into the non-siphon tube or simply use a compressor to blow air into the tank. the pressure created will force gas out the siphon tube. this works real well for emptying a tank since you can move the siphon hose around in the tank while air is being blown to try to get every last bit out.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Call me old fashon but I always use the good old "suck" siphon, Only twice have I got gas in my mouth, You just need top be fast! Last time I did get a mouth full of cam II not good..... But its cheep and easy!
Old 12-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Is this an F bod or vette? If an F bod, look at the wiring harness by the ecm. You'll see 1 red wire coming out and going nowwhere, with a little black plastic connector on it. I've been told that giving 12V+ to this will power on the pump. You can then disconnect the fuel line in the engine bay and have it pump the fuel out. If that wire doesn't work, just jump the relay under the car.

Or, take the hose you're going to use, and fill it with gas (or water, if its not a lot it won't hurt). Just stick it in a bucket and make sure theres no air. Plug both ends with a finger and walk over to your car. Let go of one end, and keep the other end plugged up tight! Feed it into the tank, and very little fluid should get out. Now just make sure the end in your hand is lower than the tank, and let go. It shoud start running out.

Or, just buy a damn siphon pump. You squeeze the little pump until the line is full, then just let it run.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Baltimore Whore

just get a pump.or use a clear hose so you can see the **** coming. but if you keep drinking the gas it will put hair on you chest.(or 6 ft under what ever happens first).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: siphoning gas?