Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what setps to take when installing a converter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what setps to take when installing a converter???

okay i just installed my converter, and now it want move, seems like i broke the pump, please someone tell me what steps i need to take, for a successful install, thanks
Old 12-18-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

take it to a tranny shop before you make it worse.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:18 AM
Teching In

did you put oil in teh covertor before you put it in? plus you need to turn teh convertor when installing it it should click three times when you spin it to put it on.. check your oil too .. make sure everything is not low
Old 12-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sr_ryan1
okay i just installed my converter, and now it want move, seems like i broke the pump, please someone tell me what steps i need to take, for a successful install, thanks
First of all when you bolt the transmission to the engine, the bolts should not be used to pull the trans up tight to close the gap.
Second when you bolt the converter up you should have had to pull it out of the trans about 1/8".
So thats
1. if the transmission doesn't set flush on the engine with no bolts STOP, SOMETHING IS WRONG.
2. if the converter doesn't move when you go to bolt it up something is wrong.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sr_ryan1

you didn't break the pump- it is not "clicked" in so therfore it won't move (from you trying to turn it at least). take the trans out- click the converter in correctly- then re-install the trans and bolt that **** up correctly.

you can do it- don't be a wuss and take it to some shop that'll charge you 10,0000000$ for what i just said above...
Old 12-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Teching In

yea it should be three clicks in .. you turn teh convertor clockways untill teh three clicks are finished
Old 12-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Launching!

okay thanks for all yalls help, do you thank that i hurt the converter any? i jacked the rear end up and got one tire to spin just a little bit,
Old 12-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Teching In

no not unless you were forcing the car to try to move then i would becarfull you could have messed up summin but most likely your fine
Old 12-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Launching!

yep pulled the trans and i did brake the pump i could see some chunks of metal inside it
Old 12-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

OK, you didn't have the converter installed all the way.
What breaks the pump? PULLING THE TRANSMISSION UP TO THE ENGINE WITH THE BELLHOUSING BOLTS.
Next time, when you bolt the trans up periodically check to be sure the converter spins, if it doesn't then stop and find out why.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:44 PM
Launching!

yeah i wish someone would have told me that b4 i bolted it up, anyways, so now i need a pump,where do i get one? how much does it cost? and would i beable to install it myself, or would i need special tools? thanks
Old 12-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Banned

You could either take the trans to someone and have them rebuild or replace your pump.
Or take your pump out and get a used or rebuilt one from a transmission hardparts supplier or small non chain store transmission shop. They can match it up and probably take it as a core.
It's not real hard to change the pump IMO. The pan needs to come off, the PWM solinoid needs to be removed from the vb so you can get access to the tcc lockup solinoid and remove that. And remove the fwd accumulator line.
You can get the pump out without a pump puller, but you can figure that out.

Quick Reply: what setps to take when installing a converter???