Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...scanner won't read PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 07:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help...scanner won't read PCM?

Threw a code last night while the car was warming up..... flashing SES. Tapped the gas, light went out. Go to read the code and the scanner won't interface the pcm Checked the scan tool on a buddies car....works fine. Car "feels" ok... but sucking down gas like $10.00 Ho. Burned 1/4 tank in approx. 25 miles. PCV catch can smells of raw fuel. Checked the pcm bat. fuse .... it's good. Short of swapping in another pcm(which I don't have)to see if the scanner boots up.....any thoughts or what to check next guys???
Old 12-18-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

flashing SES means multiple misfire (PO350 I think?)

what scanner are you using? any errors on connect? have you used this laptop and scanner before? (assuming you're using a scanner and not just a SES tool thing)
Old 12-18-2004, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Horist- just a cheap Actron OBDII scan tool... has been used before on this car.... no probs. As mentioned, it worked fine a a bud's car moments after it wouldn't read on mine. Won't even boot up, so I don't know for sure what code was thrown.

Thinking fried pcm?, but everything seems to work(IE)lights, stereo etc.?

Gonna try to get a friends pcm swapped over tomorrow, but leary that if my car has an issue and burned the pcm, that it may do the same thing to another puter? Dunno
Old 12-18-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

if the car starts the PCM is fine So don't get yourself worked up

If it works on others cars... your car runs... doesn't work on your car... then sounds like the DLC (OBDII port) isn't getting power)

Does the cigarette lighter work? (plug cell phone charger or something into it) .. cig lighter and DLC (OBDII) port operate off same circuit....

Check the fuses inside the car

FYI: the stereo still works w/a dead PCM ... PCM is the powertrain control module... not PSCM Powertrain & Stereo control module

Were I a betting man though.. I'd bet a blown fuse and that your cig lighter doesn't work
Old 12-18-2004, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah... car starts/runs. All fuses good. Why wouldn't the com-port be getting power? Odd.....
Old 12-18-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LowETz
Yeah... car starts/runs. All fuses good. Why wouldn't the com-port be getting power? Odd.....

Inside the car there's a fuse panel on the driver side... only accessible w/the door open... perhaps there was a short at one time at the cigarette lighter (change falling in it, bad cell phone charger, etc...)

you've checked all the fuses *inside* the car ?

If the scanner connects to a friends car... then the scanner's good... if your car starts then the PCM is good... if it won't connect to your car it can really only be 1 of 2 things

1. No Power to DLC connector
2. the wire from Pin 16 of the Blue PCM to your DLC connector was severed (or the power or ground wires) ... this would be rather odd...
Old 12-18-2004, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Agreed. How 'bout this.... all fuses good(inside fuse box).... cig. lighter dead Checking/tracing leads from pcm now....
Old 12-18-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmm.. if the cig lighter's dead... I'd double check the fuses again... I think it's the accessory fuse?

Gimme a few minutes... I'll go out and check my car... (stupid snow... )
Old 12-18-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

inside the car. from top, 3rd row 2nd from front, 25a cig/accy double and triple check that fuse
Old 12-18-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been stumped by blown fuses that looked ok before. check it with a test light or swap fuses.

Quick Reply: Help...scanner won't read PCM?