Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to put the wide band bung

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to put the wide band bung

I am doing long tubes(QTP) and off raod y pipe. I would like to know if it is better to put the bung for the wide band in the header just after or befor the one that is there, or should it go in after the y. If it goes in after the y it will be cooler, to cool? and it will have both sides of the engine. If it goes in the header it will have only one side of the engine. I do not have a wide yet but it will be a LM1.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

I would put it after the Y. That way you can read both banks. The LM1 is fully heated, so you can mount it anywhere in the exhaust pipe.

Andrew
Old 12-19-2004, 08:13 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Actually, you need to put the WBO2 sensor just downstream of the pre-cat NBO2 Sensors and ahead of the catalytic converter(s). The reason for this is that any oxygen sensor is sensing the amount of free oxygen remaining in the exhaust to measure the air:fuel ratio. The catalyst inside the catalytic converters promote chemical reactions that bind the smog producing substances with oxygen into other chemical compounds which are better for the environment, but at the same time they cause the free Oxygen after the cat to be reduced and show a richer mixture. That's why when dyno tuning, many tuners are stating that in order to get a really accurate tune, the customer must pay to have an exhaust bung installed rather than to use a tailpipe sniffer.

All my best,

Steve
Old 12-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Restricted User

Also, yes the heat effects the WB reading, and if you put it in the Y you wont be able to tell what bank is good or not, since its blended at that point. I have mine about 4 inches from the sensor 1 (used without cats) on my JetHot LTs, has worked very well. As was talked about in another thread, if you read one side with WB, you can look at your fuel trims to ensure that both banks are reading the same or nearly the same.

Charlie

Quick Reply: Where to put the wide band bung