Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a 02 Heads/Cam SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Raced a 02 Heads/Cam SS

Friday nite I had an out of town buddy call me up and tell me about some racing that was going to happen. He had me set up to race an 02 SS convertible with heads (not sure of specs) and a comp cam (don't know the duration but the lift is .581) he also had SLP longtubes, a SSF3500, cutout, and other supporting boltons. The car made 389rwhp at TEA where it was tuned. I knew I would have my hands full because my car put down 369rwhp cam only. I knew the convertibles weigh more, so I knew that would help me out some. The bottle was empty and sitting in my living room so the spray wouldn't be there if I needed it. We race somewhere between a 1/8th and 1/4. To his credit I was on Nittos and he was on street tires, but he took the lane that had just had a car with ET Drags that sprayed traction crap down to try and even it up. I didn't drop the psi any either. So a short burnout, we line em up and hands drop. I rolled into the throttle and when I felt it was starting to hook pretty good I mashed it on down. From the getgo I was ahead and pulled about 1-2 cars on him before we shut down. Someone out there said there was a gap between his front and my rear so I'm guessing 1-2 cars is about right. I don't know if I was still pulling or if he was catching, he didn't comment, just said good run. Guy was real cool and we're gonna get together again when he gets some DR. Pretty fun night all in all, might would have tried a roll too, but we got a call that the cops were on the way so everyone left. About 2 miles up the road we met the cop heading out there, man you gotta love having connections on that stuff!!!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet race!
Old 12-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

Man he had all of that and only made 389??? Does that number seem a little low to anyone else? You said H/C and other bolt ons? Sounds pretty low to me but good kill.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCamaroS
Man he had all of that and only made 389??? Does that number seem a little low to anyone else? You said H/C and other bolt ons? Sounds pretty low to me but good kill.
He was an auto you never can tell with them. It's almost like they hide horsepower, then you run them and it's like BAM there's that hundred horse that was hiding on the dyno. Nice kill.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:17 AM
Banned

Good Kill
Old 12-25-2004, 05:45 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by King02SS
He was an auto you never can tell with them. It's almost like they hide horsepower, then you run them and it's like BAM there's that hundred horse that was hiding on the dyno. Nice kill.

Yes. Like King02SS describes.

Nice run!
Old 12-25-2004, 05:58 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

auto or not a 3500 converter with those mods should prolly run somewhere in the 11's i am guessing depeding on the spec of the cam and heads and he may have been BS'ing about that but still sounds fishy someone might have lied (like the guy driving the other camaro) about what was done..... again not accusing you brian but the other driver
Old 12-25-2004, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

The previous owner took it to Beech Bend and with tires, ET Streets is what I understand, the car went 12.04. In my sig you'll see I ran an 11.99 in poor weather. He was on street tires and I was on drag radials, I believe the hp #'s, mods, and the track times. You fellas have to remember that this car along with mine were both dynoed at TEA, which supposedly is, or was, one of the lowest reading dynos in the country. So if he dynoed somewhere else, he might put down more along the lines of what some of you would expect.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

389 to the wheels....thats it??? even in an auto, he should be closer to if not over 400. if he is indeed h/c, it sounds like a baby cam with a stage 1 head
Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by The35thZ
389 to the wheels....thats it??? even in an auto, he should be closer to if not over 400. if he is indeed h/c, it sounds like a baby cam with a stage 1 head
Did you not listen to anything I said? TEA has one of the lowest reading dynos in the entire country!!! Every knowledgeable person on this board knows this. I guess you will roll your eyes that my car with the 225 cam only and A4 only went 363 unlocked, 369 locked. But guess what, it set the automatic cam only record at TEA. Besides, everyone knows we don't race on the dyno, it's a piece of tuning equipment. My track times and his speak for themselves. Brian Tooley himself said he always found it funny how he ran comparable times with way less hp (according to his dyno) then other people. In fact, on that dyno there had only been a few a4 cars to break the 400rwhp mark at all, and I do mean H/C cars. Someone on here that's knowledgeable will surely back me up on this.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club

That's the truth. I've personally seen 3 H/C auto cars on that dyno not break 400rwhp(1c5 and two F-bod's)....

Sounds like a good run man! I gotta dive up to BG sometime and hang out with you guys.....sounds like you all have a good time! HAve you ever met a guy named "Bubba" from Franklin, KY with a black M6 SS with H/C???? I love that ride......
Old 01-03-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
That's the truth. I've personally seen 3 H/C auto cars on that dyno not break 400rwhp(1c5 and two F-bod's)....

Sounds like a good run man! I gotta dive up to BG sometime and hang out with you guys.....sounds like you all have a good time! HAve you ever met a guy named "Bubba" from Franklin, KY with a black M6 SS with H/C???? I love that ride......
Thanks for the backup. I've never met him. You do know that TEA is moved to Ohio right? Do you know a guy that goes by Dustin Butts on here? He's from Nashville too. He's one of my buddies, real cool guy, has a red Camaro M6, made around 518rwhp or so at TEA I actually don't go to Bowling Green much, unless it's to go to Beech Bend or for dyno tuning when TEA was there. But it'd be cool to meet up at the track or if your into the streetracing scene around here is pretty cool some nights in the summer.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill, man. Screw everyone else. You plain and simple out-drove the guy. Great job.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

Dustin?.....I Know a guy named Daryl with a 408 iron block that was making 500+N/a on the TEA dyno....

Yea, I knew they moved to Ohio. LAst i heard(from Brian Patterson), was that Brent was gonna stay in BG and open a shop if you can believe it. He did wonders for my car back when he dyno-tuned it. I have the ut-most respect for that guy..Let me know next time you're heading to Beech Bend to race. You'd kill me at the strip(I'm a m6 w/ a 10 bolt....), but i'd love to meet up with all you guys....
Old 01-04-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Dustin?.....I Know a guy named Daryl with a 408 iron block that was making 500+N/a on the TEA dyno....

Yea, I knew they moved to Ohio. LAst i heard(from Brian Patterson), was that Brent was gonna stay in BG and open a shop if you can believe it. He did wonders for my car back when he dyno-tuned it. I have the ut-most respect for that guy..Let me know next time you're heading to Beech Bend to race. You'd kill me at the strip(I'm a m6 w/ a 10 bolt....), but i'd love to meet up with all you guys....
Yup, Darryl is his real name, he just goes by dustin butts on tech. I knew Brent was opening a shop, but I was keeping it on the downlow until he made it public himself. I guess it's starting to get around already. That's good cause Brent is an awesome tuner and a great guy to deal with. I think he will do great for himself with his own shop. He's done nothing but awesome work with my car, and I'm glad he stayed, cause I was afraid I'd be stuck with this 225 cam for the rest of my life since I don't know where in the heck I would have got another one tuned at. Sounds good on the track deal, I can't wait to get some more times with this thing. Brian Patterson, where's that guy from? I know some Pattersons in my neck of the woods. They have a Red Nova.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5POINT7
Nice kill, man. Screw everyone else. You plain and simple out-drove the guy. Great job.
Thanks for the props man.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

hmm...didnt see where u posted about TEA having low dyno numbers. sorry man, wasnt tryin to start a debate there, it just sounded low to me. good run
Old 01-04-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

hmm...didnt see where u posted about TEA having low dyno numbers. sorry man, wasnt tryin to start a debate there, it just sounded low to me. good run
Honestly bro, even if it was another dyno, I'd still believe it, cause my car is H/C A4 and it barely broke 400rwhp. 404 to be exact, unlocked. And I have the same heads as you with tr224/114 cam. BUT, I run 11.60s @116 all day in descent weather. Autos kill hp but give it back to you in the form of good et.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

That's cool, and thanks.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Good race! Dynos #'s dont when races. You got to love the autos