Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Just installed Walboro 255 LPH. No pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed Walboro 255 LPH. No pressure

I bought a Walboro 340, 255 LPH fuel pump from New Era Performance. I have it installed. When I turn the key on I can here the pump run but it delelopes no fuel pressure. I have it wired with the ground and power wires on the same side of the connector as the factory connector. Will it run backwards if the wires are switched? It came with no instructions of course.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

did you hook it up to the fuel line?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
did you hook it up to the fuel line?
Yes, it is connected. There is only one fuel line coming from the pump. You have to buy a short piece of fuel line to make the connection. The factory plastic line cannot be reused. New Era does not supply that line nor do they supply the hose clamps that attaches the pump to the metal holding bracket.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

i would have to say it came off.

has happened to me before.. do you recall it ever building pressure even just a little at first?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
i would have to say it came off.

has happened to me before.. do you recall it ever building pressure even just a little at first?
The engine would not start or even fire. I have the two ends tightly secured with small hose clamps that New Era supplied. I don't that is the problem.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Have you checked pressure at the schreader valve?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss rally red
Have you checked pressure at the schreader valve?
Yes, zero! Even took the schreader valve out and turned the key on.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Restricted User

Listen, can you hear the pump turning with the key in the run position? It should spinup for a few seconds! If not power issue. If you do, take the frickin pump assembly back out and replace the line from the pump to the fuel module. It will either be d/c or split. Look at the pics in my imagestation of what regular "reinforced" fuel hose will look like after being run 8 seconds. It happened again after than, then I found the Hi Press. Oil/Fuel line in it now.

Good luck.

Charlie
Old 12-20-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CAT3
Listen, can you hear the pump turning with the key in the run position? It should spinup for a few seconds! If not power issue. If you do, take the frickin pump assembly back out and replace the line from the pump to the fuel module. It will either be d/c or split. Look at the pics in my imagestation of what regular "reinforced" fuel hose will look like after being run 8 seconds. It happened again after than, then I found the Hi Press. Oil/Fuel line in it now.

Good luck.

Charlie
Yes, I can hear the pump running for a few seconds when I turn the key on. The line I used has 400 psi stamped on it. The fuel module line is a nice tight fit to the hose but the pump discharge is smaller. the hose did not fit nearly as well on the pump. Maybe the hose clamp on the pump discharge did not hold. Guess it's time to take it apart!

Could the pump run backwards if the wires are attached backwards? As I said I had no instructions from New Era.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes it could run backward, but should have come with its own plug that you spice in.. if you hooked the black to ground you got it right.

also your stock pressure line is plastic at a point exiting the top of the tank, if you put this back in really really wrong you could have it smashed completely above the tank = no fuel pressure.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 AM
Restricted User

Good possibility of the line coming off the pump. You should be able to fit two of the small worm gear clamps on there, or two small HP Fuel Line clamps which I prefer. The HP Fuel line clamps dont have the worm gearing so it reduces the chance of weakening the line from a split, it uses the smooth band with a nut and bolt assembly. I now have two small clamps on the fuel pump side of mine.
Other than whats already been posted above, good luck.

Charlie
Old 12-21-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like I had the two wires crossed. I used the factory sequence on the connector. Works fine now with the wires switched.

Here's a pic of the cradle I made to prevent the hose clamps from crushing the factory sheet metal bracket. The second pic shows the smaller Walboro verses the larger factory on the right. I hope this Walboro will hold pressure better than my factory.
Attached Thumbnails Just installed Walboro 255 LPH.  No pressure-cradle.jpg   Just installed Walboro 255 LPH.  No pressure-pumps.jpg  

Last edited by Larry; 12-24-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

larry..is that first pic how you just dropped it back in? didnt even put the bucket back around it?
Old 12-23-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Ws6TransAm
larry..is that first pic how you just dropped it back in? didnt even put the bucket back around it?
Yes, that is how it went back in the tank. The factory 98 plastic portion wouldn't come close to fitting the Walboro. The Walboro 340 is a Mustang fuel pump.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Restricted User

Larry, just keep in mind your fuel level needs to be about 1/4 tank at minimum and you shouldnt have any issues. The bucket on the module is used to keep "reserve" fuel supply to the pump in the event of things like, hard launches, cornering etc. Without it, the fuel will slosh to the rear or side and prevent the pump from pulling it in, this will cause cavitation, air pockets in the pump that wont allow it to flow the fuel correctly, lowering your FP and possibly running lean; prevents the fuel from cooling the pump, which can lead to premature failure from excessive heat. Just food for thought.
Most ppl will remove the bucket, modify the bottom to accept the larger sock mounting at the base of the pump, secure the pump to the bracket, fuel lines, and then slide it back into the bucket, install the sock while assembled and then connect the wiring and drop it in.

Good luck.

Charlie
Old 12-24-2004, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CAT3
Larry, just keep in mind your fuel level needs to be about 1/4 tank at minimum and you shouldnt have any issues. The bucket on the module is used to keep "reserve" fuel supply to the pump in the event of things like, hard launches, cornering etc. Without it, the fuel will slosh to the rear or side and prevent the pump from pulling it in, this will cause cavitation, air pockets in the pump that wont allow it to flow the fuel correctly, lowering your FP and possibly running lean; prevents the fuel from cooling the pump, which can lead to premature failure from excessive heat. Just food for thought.
Most ppl will remove the bucket, modify the bottom to accept the larger sock mounting at the base of the pump, secure the pump to the bracket, fuel lines, and then slide it back into the bucket, install the sock while assembled and then connect the wiring and drop it in.

Good luck.

Charlie
Here is a pic of my factory pump on the right before I touched it. Don't see how the two plastic ends are going to do anything like you say they are suppose to do. All they do is hold the pump to the factory bracket. My tank has a built up plastic holding compartment at the base of the pump surrounding the filter to do what you are suggesting. The pump has to go in one way or the filter won't go into this compartment. Remember mine is a 98 metal tank. Maybe a plus for the 98 tanks?

I have raced this car with the fuel level on empty with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails Just installed Walboro 255 LPH.  No pressure-pumps.jpg  
Old 12-24-2004, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Larry
Here is a pic of my factory pump on the right before I touched it. Don't see how the two plastic ends are going to do anything like you say they are suppose to do. All they do is hold the pump to the factory bracket. My tank has a built up plastic holding compartment at the base of the pump surrounding the filter to do what you are suggesting. The pump has to go in one way or the filter won't go into this compartment. Remember mine is a 98 metal tank. Maybe a plus for the 98 tanks?

I have raced this car with the fuel level on empty with no issues.

It looks just like mine. It wasn't that bad to remove and install but, the stuff that was sent with the pump didn't work for me. I had to go to Checkers to buy new stuff to make it work. Its a loud pump and puts out a ton of pressure. If its not putting out pressure, maybe the pump is just bad its self. dunno
Old 12-30-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i modified my bucket alittle..and dropped it in...no problems....pump is loud though!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Ws6TransAm
i modified my bucket alittle..and dropped it in...no problems....pump is loud though!
Yes, it is loud. I can live with that as it is not my daily driver.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Larry, what do you mean you had the wires crossed? It's 2 distinct colors, black and red. Aren't the factory wires the same colors?