Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Difference - Dumped Duals and Out the Back Duals

Old 12-21-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Difference - Dumped Duals and Out the Back Duals

I was just wondering...has anyone dyno tested to see whether horsepower is lost when duals are extended over the axle? I'm hoping that someone got their car dynoed while running dumps, and then got them taken over the axle and then redynoed. If not, do you think it would make any difference?

The reason I am asking is that I am thinking about going with duals over the axle but I don't want to be giving up power. I already have a Streetpro 3" electric cutout, so if it was worth it, I could buy another and put it after the X-pipe and put mufflers before the tips after the axle. Has anyone done this? By doing it this way, I would thing that I would not lose any ground clearance, and still get the benefit of the exhaust scavenging of the X-pipe.

Just a thought, but is there any way that it would be possible to have duals to and x-pipe, followed by dual cutouts...and then have it merge to a single pipe over the axle and into a catback-style muffler? Then you could get the benefit of duals when the cutouts are opened, and when they are closed, it would be quiet with one's muffler of choice...like say the muffler that comes with the Hooker catback. I just don't know if there is room to bring the two sides together after cutouts (which are in that space under the rear seats). I would think though, that this would end up costing less for me than doing duals, and as a bonus, I could keep that PHB support that Lane removes (I believe) when doing over the axle setups.

Sorry, it's late, just thought of this. Give me some opinions and share if you have before and after dynos of taking duals over the axle. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2004, 02:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matts22
I was just wondering...has anyone dyno tested to see whether horsepower is lost when duals are extended over the axle? I'm hoping that someone got their car dynoed while running dumps, and then got them taken over the axle and then redynoed. If not, do you think it would make any difference?
Only thing that would really make a difference would be the weight of going out the back. Very little horse power will be lost, if any.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:39 AM
11 Second Truck Club

I ran my fastest time after going 2.5inch under axle. I can't say about dyno #'s but I know I didn't lose any power, just gained alittle weight.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v621/L...angeddumps.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v621/L...rent=duals.jpg
Old 12-22-2004, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

T T T

Search this Thread