Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warming up the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Warming up the engine?

I just recently purchased a '98 Z28 a little less than two weeks ago, after totalling my n/a 3000gt. One hell of an upgrade if you ask me, I had a 3rd gen T/a before that, and my first car was a V6 firebird, so when I found a good deal on a 98, I had to jump on it.

Anyway, for my question. For my 3000gt, the owner's manual said to let the car warm up until the temp gauge starts to move. This worked out nicely, on cold days it took a little longer, and warmer days a little less time, then I would just keep it under 3k rpm's until operating temp. With the Camaro, it seems to take much longer to start moving, the heater even starts getting a little warm before it moves, it does move eventually though, just seems slow (I know it works, on 98's the temp gauge was functional). I've been letting it run until the idle drops to about 1000rpms, and then keep it under/around 2k rpms until it's in normal operating range, is that long enough? Just wondering what other people do/recommend. I know this seems like a trivial thing, but IMO, it's one of the most important things you can do for the car. Sorry if this has been asked or discussed before, I couldn't find anything about it by searching.

Thanks

Last edited by Muerte_X; 12-21-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I always warm up my car until the temp needle has moved past the very first notch, and then I pull out and drive away nice and easy
Old 12-21-2004, 11:33 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Every morning before work I always let it warm up, it moves after about 4 to 5 minutes for me, idles about 1000rpms. I know that your supposed to do it with turbo cars before and after you drive. So when ever I get home I let it idle for a little bit as well. Not sure that it helps the car but I do it anyway.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

diffenently let it warm up, aluminum block/heads, id hate to see my motor warp
Old 12-21-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Remote start, the best way! I have it and always warm the engine and no time is wasted waiting. I love it WAY more now that it's cold too!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

i let it warm up, for one because thats just what i was taught when i was younger...and two its been pretty damn cold outside so i need to let her warm up so i can use the heat
Old 12-21-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always let my car run a minute or so before I drive it on cold start up.....let that oil get moving around. Not that it's the ridiculously cold in FL, but in the 40's I let it run a few mins longer than I would in 90 degrees.

I laugh when I see people start a car and start to drive it right away.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

lots of pros say you are wasting time and gas letting it warm up for more than 10-15 seconds. after this short time they say the oil pressure is up, and gentle driving warms the car up much quicker while not hurting anything. does this sound wrong? I stress the gentle driving until warm.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
Remote start, the best way!
Unless you have a M6. I'm not a fan of disabling the neutral safety switch so no auto start for me.

Let it warm up! Gotta get rid of the piston slap somehow.

Take it easy on the throttle when it's cold. Remember, the motor may have warmed up but the tranny & rear end are ice cold still.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no need to let your car idle in order to warm up. All you are doing is building up more carbon in the combustion chamber since it's going to be running rich for a lot longer time. Just start the engine, wait a couple of seconds then slowly pull away. Remember, you need to get your trans fluid and rear end fluid warmed up too, neither of which will happen if you're just sitting there.

Also, when you idle your engine, the oil does not get warmed up as quickly. So even if your coolant begins to climb, the oil temp will still be very low. Therefore you need to have the engine under load.

Just keep the rpms under 2000 and use a light foot on the throttle until your engine is warmed up. This is the best way to go. I do this with all of my cars, even if it's -15F outside I won't let the engine idle in the driveway. That's also a good way to get your car stolen when you do that!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Patman said. Wait until it gets to operating temperature before gettin' on it!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by unit213
Unless you have a M6. I'm not a fan of disabling the neutral safety switch so no auto start for me.

Let it warm up! Gotta get rid of the piston slap somehow.

Take it easy on the throttle when it's cold. Remember, the motor may have warmed up but the tranny & rear end are ice cold still.
I solved that little dilemma on my Formula -- mounted a couple lever switches on the top collar of the shifter, that contact the stick. If the shifter is in any gear, it will interrupt the remote start signal.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:27 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I laugh when I see people start a car and start to drive it right away.
Me too, I have a friend with a new wrx and when I go to his house then we go someplace, he just jumps in starts it then leaves. I even told him that you got to let your car warm up cause its has a turbo. He told that he hardly, if ever lets it warm up in the mornings.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:29 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

He really beats on it too.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

I won't let the engine idle in the driveway. That's also a good way to get your car stolen when you do that!

LOL

So true... though I am guilty of that in the winter. But at least it is in the garage and I would hear the change in exhaust if it moved.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I won't let the engine idle in the driveway. That's also a good way to get your car stolen when you do that!

LOL

So true... though I am guilty of that in the winter. But at least it is in the garage and I would hear the change in exhaust if it moved.
Remote start leaves the car armed so that isn't as big a deal for me. I only let the car warm up for a minute or two anyway. That's all it needs before driving off. Then I wait for it to hit operating temperature before I drive it hard.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

I have a CTS-V and my roomate has an 02 WS6 Trans Am. We both warm our cars up religiously. He is a little more **** about it though, he does it excessively. I just do it till the temp reads 150ish the proceed with caution till regular 190-200 degrees.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always let me 98 warm up. Usually on the mornings I let it go a little ove the first line then start driving slow. I owned a tt rx7 before this, so letting the car warm up is an instinct to me...
Old 12-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
That's also a good way to get your car stolen when you do that!
How? My Explorer has auto start. The doors lock when it starts and the alarm arms. No keys are in it. You have to unlock the doors, insert/turn the key for the car to run. Unlock the door and try to move it without the keys and the car dies immediately when you touch the brake.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Patman
There is no need to let your car idle in order to warm up. All you are doing is building up more carbon in the combustion chamber since it's going to be running rich for a lot longer time. Just start the engine, wait a couple of seconds then slowly pull away. Remember, you need to get your trans fluid and rear end fluid warmed up too, neither of which will happen if you're just sitting there.

Also, when you idle your engine, the oil does not get warmed up as quickly. So even if your coolant begins to climb, the oil temp will still be very low. Therefore you need to have the engine under load.

Just keep the rpms under 2000 and use a light foot on the throttle until your engine is warmed up. This is the best way to go. I do this with all of my cars, even if it's -15F outside I won't let the engine idle in the driveway. That's also a good way to get your car stolen when you do that!

As Patman said it......