Sponsored by:

What is it like driving a TH400 trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it like driving a TH400 trans

with a reverse manual.
What I mean is, like do you let off the gas to shift, or when you are going fast like in 3rd gear, then start to slow down do you need to downshift into second gear, then to 1st if you are coming to a stop

i think the word I am looking for is "driving characteristics"
Old 12-22-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

You don't lift to shift. You do downshift say if your slowing down to make a sharp turn. You can down shift when coming to a stop but I usually just come to a stop then put it back in first. If you forget you will know as soon as you go to take off and it doesn't want to hardly move. You'll find that you get used to it real quick. At least all the people I know that have them did.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

ok, so when driving down the street and coming up to a stop light. As I slow down would have to downshift from 3 to 2, slow down some more, then to 1, then stop. Is this correct?

Now, what about cruising on the street in 3rd, then want to go WOT, can I manually shift it into 2nd to take off, then shift it back into 3rd once I get going.

I just want to know what I am getting myself into if I get a TH400 or not. I drive in alot of stop and go traffic 3 days a week
Old 12-22-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

When coming to a stop you can downshift. Or just leave it in 3rd, come to a stop and then put it in 1st before you take off.

Yes, you can down shift to accelerate. 3-2 or 3-1 if needed. But remember if your going 75mph in 3rd and you want to go to 2nd, but go to 1 instead. It will and bad things will happen.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default coast clutches

Originally Posted by WAGE_SLAVE
with a reverse manual.
What I mean is, like do you let off the gas to shift, or when you are going fast like in 3rd gear, then start to slow down do you need to downshift into second gear, then to 1st if you are coming to a stop

i think the word I am looking for is "driving characteristics"
the th 400 with a rev vb will coast in 2d and 1st. in other words if you are going 70 mph and you shift to low nothing will happen, that's the freewheeling effect.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by john kilgore
the th 400 with a rev vb will coast in 2d and 1st. in other words if you are going 70 mph and you shift to low nothing will happen, that's the freewheeling effect.
Yes, i know stock the 400 will not downshift into 1st over 45mph no matter what.

Quick Reply: What is it like driving a TH400 trans