New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?

I've got 15 grand burning a hole in my pocket.

v8, m6, z28 /ss Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4.

Personally I've always loved v8s over 4 bangers simply because they are performing at a detuned level so to speak. They have a lot of potential where as the SRT-4 is screaming close to it's max.

I'm not sure which would be the best pick for me because I need a ride that decent on gas (not a hybrid, but just decent), is reliable, and isn't going to kill me with insurance.

Which car performs the best and in what areas. I suppose the best thing to do is to drive both but I'm just gathering ideas right now. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Try to keep them as unbaised as possible. I'll be asking the SRT-4 Forum the same question as well to get both opinions.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2004, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

get a z28/ss anyday over a neon. the ls1 has waaayyy more potential than a turbo neon. my car is a 6 speed with 4:10 gears full heads and cam and still gets 25mpg on the highwayand runs the mph to go mid 11's. to me a neon doesnt even look like a performance car.

stock for stock they might be close to a ls1 but once you get modding the ls1 forget it.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Teching In

are we talking drag racing or racing of all types?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

definately drag racing and id would say autocross too since the camaro is wider and lower which should make it handle better than a neon.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Teching In

my friend's camaro can't handle for crap. I mean I haven't seen him throw it into a turn, but the suspension sure is sloppy. It could be because it's got 80k + miles on it. I've never driven either one of them.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Well... you are at a LS1 site and I would be surprised to see someone say SRT4 would be their choice over a LS1 F-Body. If you check at srtforum they will be pro the SRT4.

To answer this I would say the Camaro with the LS1 since it has a bad *** launch and I love the RWD launch over a FWD because IMO it is much more exciting. Also, you have already stated what is obvious to most (even the SRT guys) that the LS1 is easy to mod and make faster. As to handling it will depend on driving conditions and the rides setup. The F-Bodies have proven themselves in many driving conditions to be able to be at the top.

For me I would never have to ask which to choose since it is a no brainer, V8 power with a limited slip RWD (posi) high torque wheel ripping exhaust note roaring and corner grabbing low seated sporty driving over an SRT4.... Maybe that is why I have a WS6.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

are you kidding? do you even have to ask? there really is no contest. just off the start a stock LS1 will smack down even a modded SRT-4. you will love the torque and all the car passing HP. good luck on whatever you decide to get.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

why ask, especially on this site? the SRT-4 is a decent car, but a LS1 is way better in performance potential, while still getting around 22mpg in an M6 with fun driving. Yes the SRT-4 probably gets 28, but nobody buys a performance car for the mileage. the F-Body has good handling with minor suspension work.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Teching In

It's a NEON! Mybuddy got a SRT-4, what a joke. We tease him all the time about that car. Turbos are in a weird place, induction system is all weird. His battery dies the second day he had it. How manly can you be sayin you drive a NEON?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Trying to look from a neutral stand point here Id still pick the LS1.

First RWD dominates FWD in everything, drag, handling and all. And remember this the quicker the FWD car is, the more it torque steers.

As far as gas milage, the SRT-4 gets slightly better (i think its 22/30) while the Z28/SS gets 19/27.

Reliability, a N/A engine is most likley going to last longer than one using F/I, so LS1 wins here. (theoretically)

Strait line performance the camaro owns. The SRT-4 runs low 14s high 13s while the Z28/SS will be running low to mid 13s(these times are with good drivers remember ).
Braking is about the same, both cars brake from 60-0 in 120ft.

Handling numbers are pretty much the same too. Both cars run a 64mph slalom speed, but the SRT-4 pulls .83 Gs on the skidpad where as the Z28 pulls .87.
Both cars will feel very different when handling though. The Neon will most likely understeer more than the Z28, and the Z28 will most likely oversteer more than the SRT-4 (better than understeering )

You will really have to drive both cars to find out the one you like better. But I, like the others suggest a Camaro.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

Id say get the srt-4.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Skittles rule man!! Taste the rainbow I would never ever ever ever buy one.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'd get a Neon also.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Teching In

I'm just saying they're quite zippy. They have just as much of an aftermarket as the LS1. Just weighing my options here. With modification, any car can beat any car.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a drag strip with 2 cars setup for that, or go to the road course with 2 cars setup for that. Either way the LS1 fbody wins hands down. Modibility ? LS1 all the way. The SRT4 can be fast no doubt, but a top of the line heads and cam on an LS1 and it'll own. Put a turbo kit on an LS1 and you don't even want to ride in it
Old 12-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Teching In

I can't believe there's even a discussion on this. There is no competition. And Srt-4's run 15's
Old 12-24-2004, 03:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by veXati0n
my friend's camaro can't handle for crap. I mean I haven't seen him throw it into a turn, but the suspension sure is sloppy. It could be because it's got 80k + miles on it. I've never driven either one of them.

falling into the ricer myth are we...
Old 12-24-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by veXati0n
I'm just saying they're quite zippy. They have just as much of an aftermarket as the LS1. Just weighing my options here. With modification, any car can beat any car.
Zippy and powerful are two different things....zippy being
Old 12-24-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't believe you'd come to an LS1 board & ask such a question & expect to get any other kind of answer, ...

Old 12-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
I can't believe you'd come to an LS1 board & ask such a question & expect to get any other kind of answer, ...

No need to be a dick about it. I was just asking your opinions. I already knew they would be biased but I was just curious if any of you had problems on tracks that aren't straight. I'm just doing some research and I'm trying to find out what's best for me. At least I'm not just jumping head first into something I don't know much about. Like I said, I'm just trying to gather information. I believe some of you guys to be big talkers about your cars just because you own one and that's that. Perhaps if you had the chance to buy something different, perhaps some of you might have done so. Some of you, however make good points which is exactly what I came here looking for. Not stupid comments from the jerk above. If answering a question like this is such an annoyance to you, perhaps you should rethink the reason why you even bothered to click the link and comment in the first place.

Thank you those of you who are actually helping.

One more question: Do F-bodys have the same suspension setup as Corvette? I'm a huge fan of the C5 and I was curious to see if Camaros have leaf springs in the back as well. Perhaps it can be swapped with stiffer ones like the C5 guys grab off the z06's.

Last edited by veXati0n; 12-24-2004 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?