Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Question?? AN fitting and fuel line install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question?? AN fitting and fuel line install?

Can you guys help me with what is the easiest way to get this AN fitting on the end of a braided fuel line? How do you cut the line to keep the braided area from frizzing apart. I can't seem to slide the two together.

Got my Speed Inc. fuel rail and install kit from Santa.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never tried it but I read that someone used a little cutoff wheel on a dremel tool? Maybe you could just use the dremel to cut around the casing and then cut the hose with a razor? Sounds like it might work, let us know. My new fuel system hasnt come yet so I will need to know myself soon.

Good luck!
Old 12-25-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

wrap the area you're going to cut with electrical tape then use a cutoff wheel
Old 12-25-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.

How exactly does the AN fitting tighten down to hold the braided hose. Seems interesting how it is suppose to hold all that pressure.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:30 PM
Launching!

These documents should help a bit. Personally I wrap the braided line TIGHTLY with masking tape (electrical tape works well too) and then I cut it in my chop saw... Using light pressure so that I don't deform the hose or fray the steel braiding while cutting. Just make sure to clean out the inside of the hose before using it as a chop saw (or cutoff disk for that matter) dumps a lot of rubber dust into the hose.

Assembly: http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...eader/26_1.pdf
Technical Info: http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...eader/26_3.pdf
Torque Specs: http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...eader/26_4.pdf
Tips: http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...eader/26_5.pdf
Tech Tips:http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...eader/24_3.pdf
Old 12-25-2004, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
Thanks guys.

How exactly does the AN fitting tighten down to hold the braided hose. Seems interesting how it is suppose to hold all that pressure.
It is a little suprising just how much pressure they can hold with them being so simple. I think the biggest part of what makes it so strong is that it actually cuts the threads into the hose as you clamp down on it, so it's not just sandwhiched between the inner and outer parts of the clamp, the inner piece is actually threaded into the hose and the outer part gives it support. They can be a real bitch to get together sometimes... Which brand AN fittings does the kit come with? My favorites are the Aeroquip and Cantons. I am not too fond of the Russels and Earls. The Canton ones are by far the easiest ones I've ever used to assemble...
Old 12-26-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for that info....I feel much better in that dept.

Next question. Factory fuel line to braided fuel line with AN fitting. What size flare and fitting adapter do I need to hook those up?

Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be kinda late, but hey this is good info for everybody out there. The AN series fittings has it's roots in the Army and Navy. IE AN. In the hydralics world the 37 degree fittings like the AN's are called JIC. If you have a Parker Store around they do alot of hydralic lines and such. The fittings will be steel but will work fine with the braided fittings and will hold like 2000 PSI or something like that, (way overkill) They are kinda expensive though. The fittings are like $15 each or something crazy like that. If you are putting a 6 series male fitting on your factory steel line you will want to ask the Parker guy for a Male 6 series JIC compression fitting. That will work great with the 3/8" (feeder) steel line. If you are going bigger than that then a 1/2" steel line will be a 8 series JIC. I think 5/16" is 4 series which would be 4 AN but I'm not sure. You would have to look at the fittings and see. Hope this helps.

Last edited by kossuth; 12-28-2004 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also for the cutting of the AN braided hose, I use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and wrap the braided hose with that reinforced fiber tape that is a PITA to cut that the USPS loves to wrap stuff in. Works great. I've tried electrical tape and it works ok, but I prefer the fiber tape.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

5/16" is an odd one.

The -4 or -6 etc refers to 4/16" or 6/16" ( ie, 1/4" or 3/8" )

-5 isnt an easy thing to find, although I did have a -5 steel fitting on something years ago.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
5/16" is an odd one.

The -4 or -6 etc refers to 4/16" or 6/16" ( ie, 1/4" or 3/8" )

-5 isnt an easy thing to find, although I did have a -5 steel fitting on something years ago.
I used a compression fitting to 3/8 pipe, from the hardware store. Then got a 3/8 pipe to adapter, its where you cant see it so it doesnt look stupid.

Quick Reply: Question?? AN fitting and fuel line install?