Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The final exhaust set up...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The final exhaust set up...

Ok intro...
first exhaust: stock (problem... stock)
second: stock headers, borla cat-back (still stock)
third: mac headers, mac cat y-pipe, borla (ok)
second: FLP headers, FLP y-pipe, borla (good, but time to try something original)
third: FLP headers, x pipe with dynomax bullets (wow too loud, too low)
fourth: dynatech 1 3/4 - 17/8 stepped headers, x pipe w/ bullets (now extremely loud w/ 427 but very intimidating)
fifth: dynatech headers, 3 - 3.5 y pipe with QTP cutout, stock ss exhaust (much better but now the leaky dynatechs are unbearable)

Ok so after the 4th exhaust I have been moving toward a more streetable exhaust. Now I am going to try to do it right and put this exhaust thing to an end. The Dynatech merge collectors made power but now that I don't really make it to the track anymore the noise isn't worth it. And I am going to replace them instead of welding on a new collector. I'd also like a full 1 7/8 header instead of my stepped Dynatechs.

I think I have decided on 1 7/8 Kooks headers now (still considering QTP), the major factors are clearance and leaking. Then I think I will keep my y pipe with my 3.5" QTP cutout, hopefully that doesn't leak to much. I can't tell with the Dynatech racket. Does anyone have problems with their electric cutouts leaking? I will say that the stock SS exhaust with an electric cutout in front is the best setup for me, quite until you want it loud.

Does anyone know if the QTPs and Kooks have the same clearance? How do both connect to the y pipe? Is there any benefit that I am not seeing to use the QTP/Kook y-pipe? I don't care for a coated y-pipe and mine seems fine unless these premade ones have exceptional clearance and/or fitment. I will probably fit the headers with a v-band flange and modify my y-pipe to fit them.
Thank you for any comments or suggestions.
-Justin
Old 12-26-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you go with Kooks headers, I'd get the Kooks y-pipe. You KNOW it will work w/o leaks. It fits incredibly well and its not coated, a great piece.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:58 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is there ever a final. i've been through 3 myself.

who's Y pipe are you using now or gonna keep? i'd think a QTP 1 7/8 and there dual cutout Y would offer the best fitment and clearance since there made for each other.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
is there ever a final.
Haha. No.

I have a y-pipe that MTI built for me. I'm not sure how good the clearance of the QTP dual cutout y-pipe is. It seems like there is more room to tuck a single cutout up in the tunnel after the Y. I'm gonna go look at mine and see how the clearance is, because I definately don't want to lose any. I can't really justify buying a new y pipe when mine has no problems, but I'm sure I can find a way.