Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which longtube header?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which longtube header?

Hey everyone. Hope the holidays have been kind to you all. I'm thinking that I may just do a nice ORY/catback setup over a true dual setup for a few reasons: more low end torque, more capability to pass emissions, better fit/less custom fabrication (potentially less money), and the option to have a quieter, stealthier exhaust. In order to do this, I think I need longtubes. The MAC's have 2.5" collectors, which wouldn't work too well with the Mufflex system I have in mind (4" single exit). If I go with a 3" collector, I can get the Mufflex y-pipe which is two 3" into one 4", so it would work perfectly. Now I have to decide between two headers: the Edelbrock Victor Series Drag Race headers and the Pacesetter Race style longtubes. The Edelbrocks are $379, uncoated, 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" stepped primaries, no EGR/AIR fittings, and 3.5" collectors. With these I'd have to use the Edelbrock 3" ORY. The Pacesetters are $279, uncoated, 1 3/4" primaries, no EGR/AIR fittings, and 3" collectors. I could use the Mufflex Y-pipe with these. Which should I go with? Given that when I'm done with my mods, my car will be cam only, MAYBE 5.3L heads in the future, are the stepped primaries and larger collectors worth it? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

i love my setup.. i pass emissions and my car can be extremely quiet... or extremely loud

i run QTPs Stainless headers, QTP Y pipe(true merge collector) a QTEC cutout and a stock muffler..

with the cutout closed its really quiet and i pass the emission OBDII Test.. when i open the cutout its the meanest thing you have ever heard
Old 12-27-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i doubt you will be able to pass emission with long tubes...i guess it depends on where you are...we don't have them here so i don't know
Old 12-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Teching In

i got the a QTP Long tube setup... at first i failed the emession testing since i had removed the air tubes..but now that in NY they have OBDII testing as long as you are not throwing any codes you will pass.
I had some one delete the codes with scanner and now i pass without any problems..
so it depends on your state's way of testing ... or you can always get a "friend" to help you
Old 12-27-2004, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Another vote for QTPs.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason why I didn't consider QTP's straight out is because of the price. How much are they? I might save up, but for $279, the Pacesetters seem like a damn good deal.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bull99ls1
The reason why I didn't consider QTP's straight out is because of the price. How much are they? I might save up, but for $279, the Pacesetters seem like a damn good deal.
They are more than $279.00 that's for certain but those Pacesetters will rust and ultimately have to be replaced/refinished/coated etc, that's maybe two sets of headers, two installs, tying up the car etc. QTPs are done once, don't rust and make the power.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:39 AM
On The Tree

I've been through this before going with a far lesser priced headers. Coated, uncoated or stainless. It really comes downs to your budget and where you live. True 4 season states ( winter and road salt) uncoated headers will rust much sooner than later, then you are back to buy a another pair. Personally I'd go with something at the least with a decent coating to slow down the corrosion process.

Installing headers are a pain in the *** so you might as well go with one for a little better quality that will last and do it once. Also remember you when you go cheap you can't always expect the best quality!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have coated Pacesetter LT's and they are by no means poor in quality. They fit perfectly, look great, and deliver what a header should. I'm not knocking QTP's at all as they are a great product; but while price is always a factor in buying a part for most people, a higher price doesn't always mean better quality IMO.

I say look at many of the other options out there, and determine where quality, price, and function meet, and then make your selection based upon that.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Joker
a higher price doesn't always mean better quality IMO.
I totally agree, but in this particular case it does.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I totally agree, but in this particular case it does.
Right on, I see your point and agree!
Old 12-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Teching In

I just installed the Pacesetters about a week ago and they were very nice. There were no install issues. I did not have to remove anything from the driver side to install them, and there were no clearance issues. I am very happy with them.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

if pacesetter's sucked nobody would get them...but we all know that if you took all the member with headers on this board and divided it up into brands pacesetter will be on top
Old 12-28-2004, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

I'm thinking that I may just do a nice ORY/catback setup over a true dual setup for a few reasons: more low end torque, more capability to pass emissions, better fit/less custom fabrication (potentially less money), and the option to have a quieter, stealthier exhaust.
You will make more power, especially torque and area under the curve with duals than you will with a Y-pipe. Period. Also you will not have a better chance to pass emission with a Y-pipe than duals. If you have OBDII plug in you will be fine with anything. If you have visual you will need shorties and cats. If you have to pass sniffer you will need cats.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You will make more power, especially torque and area under the curve with duals than you will with a Y-pipe. Period. Also you will not have a better chance to pass emission with a Y-pipe than duals. If you have OBDII plug in you will be fine with anything. If you have visual you will need shorties and cats. If you have to pass sniffer you will need cats.
Damn, so where did I get the idea that true duals would lose low end torque as compared to a y-pipe setup? With the visual emissions issue, I was referring to a y-pipe as compared to dumped true duals, which wouldn't pass.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pacesetters here, love them and price was wonderful.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Damn, so where did I get the idea that true duals would lose low end torque as compared to a y-pipe setup? With the visual emissions issue, I was referring to a y-pipe as compared to dumped true duals, which wouldn't pass.
I don't know where that idea came from. Duals shine in under the curve power, which results from an improved low/mid range. How you potentially lose torque is by having a bigger exhaust system. What happens is you just have that much more air to move and it takes longer to get it going due to the added mass. You gain on the top end, however, because once the gas is moving there is more momentum/inertia to pull the exhaust from the cylinder and through the exhaust system. I think you can pass a visual with duals if they go back allt he way to the axle. Might depend on the person doing it, the law is normally that it has to dump behind the passenger cabin area I think. If you are worried about a visual inspection you can't run longtubes anyway.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know where that idea came from. Duals shine in under the curve power, which results from an improved low/mid range. How you potentially lose torque is by having a bigger exhaust system. What happens is you just have that much more air to move and it takes longer to get it going due to the added mass. You gain on the top end, however, because once the gas is moving there is more momentum/inertia to pull the exhaust from the cylinder and through the exhaust system. I think you can pass a visual with duals if they go back allt he way to the axle. Might depend on the person doing it, the law is normally that it has to dump behind the passenger cabin area I think. If you are worried about a visual inspection you can't run longtubes anyway.
Gotcha. You've been a big help, thank you very much. Seeing as I want to keep the torque down low, should I go with a 2.5" x-pipe setup over a 3" x-pipe? Is it that big of a difference? I ask because I like the TSP Rumbler X setup and would like to get it, but if it's not the best for my application, forget it.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

I'd just go ahead and do a 3" dual system. That is the most common/popular anyway. I have an awsome torque curve with mine.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd just go ahead and do a 3" dual system. That is the most common/popular anyway. I have an awsome torque curve with mine.
Cool. Thanks.