Sponsored by:

4L60e acting up, only in certain conditions...strange

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e acting up, only in certain conditions...strange

car is a '96 v6 Camaro.
First off this started after I changed the tranny fluid about a months ago, and its slowly getting more common.
As a side note, I previously had problems getting OD on the highway, since I changed the fluid that hasnt happened.

Here's the symptons, the car will rev up, and be pulling the car barely. someitimes the rpms are slightly high, sometimes it revs up to around 3500 and pulls the car like its at 1800. after driving for 5-10 minutes, its stops and works fine, exept for a slight sound between shifts, not a clunk, but a faint medium pitch hiss(best I can describe it)
Strange thing is it only happens after idling in drive or reverse. When I take off from the driveway its fine, its fine after idling in park, but after I sit at a light it acts up, and the colder it is the worse it seems. Fluids have been changed and checked, seems a tad high, but not much. It never completely loses the gear, or slams back into gear, the power just isnt being delivered right. thoughts?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:57 PM
Teching In

well, i might have an idea of what it is. the tranny in my yukon just gave out. it was the 1st gear, reverse, and 4 gear clutch packs. my symptoms were as follows. i would lose reverse sometimes. i usually just shot off and restarted the truck, and reverse would work fine. on the freeway, the revs would climb with out any change in speed. it all happened sudden for me though. on the highway, the revs climbed. i got off the freeway, turned around to head home. at this point, 1st gear acted up. the truck would buck and surge..like if you had a manual tranny and repeatidly dumped the clutch. eventually, the truck stopped moving period. unfortunately, only way to check to the clutch packs is to remove the tranny all together. hope this helps (and i doubt it is what you want to hear )
Old 12-29-2004, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

well, it never is harsh( like its slamming in and out of gear). it had previously done the higher revving on the highway, but that stopped after I changed the fluid, so for now that issue takes a backseat. I just find it odd how the longer I idle in drive, the worst it is. I went to a shop to talk to the mechanic about the symptoms, and he basically suggested a rebuild, the problem is I think that'll fix more than wat is needed, and I dont have the money for that right now. I do hear a slight sound before it shifts, an its still having the same symptoms, worst when its cold. I'd just like to get a more specific idea what it is. Since it fully functions once heated up or when not idling I dont think it needs a full rebuild. I just wanna fix what needs to be without shelling out the cash to fix the rest at once, I'll be selling the car come summer, so I really dont wanna sink much into it.