Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to install a shift kit???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard is it to install a shift kit???

i just recently ordered my transgo-shift kit and a shop was gonna charge me 300 buck just to install it. Is it really that hard. Im thinking of installing it myself but im not to sure.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not that hard at all. $300 is insane. I watched the video a few times, and then had it playing (paused between steps) as I was installing the kit. However, follow the written directions because they are MUCH more specific. The video is just a generic guide and some parts that you will use are a little different than the ones they use.

Basically all you are doing is replacing a few springs, enlarging a few holes in the seperator plate (they give you the drill bits), and putting in a few new gaskets. You will need a snap ring pliers with a long tip on it...if you watch the video, you'll see what I mean...you only use it once. You will also need a lb-ft. and a lb-in. torque wrench so everything can be put back together right.

It is a good kit. They give you everything you need. Just follow the written directions and you'll be fine. **One note...you dont need to remove the little screens on the seperator plate** Just remember this...it is an unnecessary step and you might break one.

Read the directions a few times before you begin (and also find the parts in the kit that you will use so you are familiar with them). I was a little nervous doing mine, but it isnt hard at all.

Keep track of parts. Keep your work area clean. Dont lose the check *****. Use the right torque specs. Piece of cake!

Torque Specs
Old 12-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man i really appriciate it. Well i was just kinda not sure cuz ive never played around with a tranny but i put my 391, cam, heads ect.. on my car myself. I didnt even know it came with a video. About how long does it take and do i have to pull my tranny or can i leave it in the car. Come to think of it 300 buck is alot. THANKS
Old 12-28-2004, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No problem...btw, there are 2 Trans-Go kits. You want the one that has the black and yellow box...it's the one that comes with the video. The other is a blue and red box...I dont know anything about that kit. The price for the one you want is $109.99...which is the one most of the sponsors here carry. Did you order the right one?

The tranny stays in the car, but you will need to get the car up off the ground enough so you can get under there to work on it. A few parts do need to be installed under there. 4 jackstands works nice. It will be messy...have a big pan to catch the fluid and plenty of rags.

Basically, you'll drop the pan, unbolt the valvebody, then you'll install the parts into the valvebody over on the workbench. The majority of the work is done on the valvebody...and out from under the car.

The only parts you need to install under the car are a spring in the servo (side of trans) and a boost valve that goes up by the valvebody -this is the part you need the snap ring pliers for. The servo is kind of a pain because you'll have to lower the rear of the trans down some so you have clearance.

It took me a day to install, but only because I cleaned everything up and really had no reason to rush it. You will need about 5 quarts of new fluid (Dexron III Mercon). Take your time refilling it...you dont want to overfill it...check the level many times over the cousrse of a couple days. If you installed heads/cam, you won't have much trouble with this shift kit.

Like I say, watch the video and read through the directions a couple times and find the parts you will be using as you follow along. Also, don't open any packages until you need to use the parts. You will follow the written directions more than the video..the video just gives you an idea of how to do it, but doesn't show the identical parts you will use. The written directions are good though.

Good luck....just go one step at a time. You wont mess it up.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install a shift kit???