Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulley question

Old 12-28-2004, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pulley question

WIth an UD pulley will i need to get a tune, and i also heard that pulleys are not good with daily drivers becuase they lower the charge from the alternator wich could create KR. Is this true?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never heard that....you won't need a tune...you will be fine...it will lowerd alternator charge but that is no concern unless you run a system...if you are concerned get an overdrive alternator pulley http://texas-speed.com/item_detail.asp?ProductID=45
Old 12-28-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think the KR induced is due to charging issues. It's a false knock. If you have a 6 speed I wouldnt even worry about the charging issues, for an auto you may want to get the overdrive alternator pulley.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Yes some pulley's in the past caused some false knock, but as said above not because of low charging. I think most manufacturers have fixed the problem. No tuning needed. I have the alt OD and still have to keep idle above 1K if I have a/c on high, cooling fans on, and other loads (no stereo).
Old 12-28-2004, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Yeah the KR issues were quite few and far between and generally only with the older pulleys.
On a related note, if I'm using a smaller lightweight battery (Hawker Genesis/Dynabatt etc.) along with an ASP pulley on a car with no system (stock Monsoon, A/C but no: power windows/power seats/power locks/rear defog etc.) should the charging be ok on a barely weekend only use car?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

see my car is a daily driver, i have monsson power window power seats and power locks but no rear defog, is that to heavy of a load for an UD pulley?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

I did not want to scare you out of getting them. I have power everything (8 speaker Monsoon, rear def, locks,win, ...) Seriously they are not a big problem. My Z28 is my only car, and the pulleys are fine to deal with. I just did not want you to buy them and be surprised charging voltage drops to about 12V at idle, with lights, a/c high, cooling fans, and other things on, because I was.
With all these loads 1000RPM or just above will bring charging voltage back above 13V. If you do not have your a/c on high, and the car is not hot causing cooling fans to run, you do not know you have UDs on the car.
Only time I really do not like it is when I am waiting in line at a fast food place the car is getting hotter by just sitting, and you or passengers want to stay cool inside at the same time. Without the alt OD pulley you might have to be at 1400RPM or so to charge like normal with loads. You have to make up for the alt spinning 25% slower.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

well where i am from it is always 68 degrees almost the entire year, so AC isnt a prob, so it should be fine, im picking that and a ported TB up for 3 bills, he also has ported maf ends and same price, so im gunna pick it up cuz eventually i will be F/I
Old 12-28-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

I thought SC had their own pulley? I would say wait but if you are getting a deal i guess it won't be bad.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

yeah it does but it wont be for a while

Search this Thread