New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-10-2016, 03:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

1999 trans am rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1999 trans am rear brakes

Hi I just replaced the front rotors and brake pads on my ta, due warpage

I am getting ready to replace the rear rotors and pads. Do I need a special tool to compress the caliper piston on the rear calipers?
or will I be able to use my c-clamp.
thanx
Old 12-28-2004, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

c-clamp should work, because the e-brake is a drum brake design housed inside of the hat of the rotor, if this is confusing, just take it apart, you'll understand, its just like the fronts
Old 12-28-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
c-clamp should work, because the e-brake is a drum brake design housed inside of the hat of the rotor, if this is confusing, just take it apart, you'll understand, its just like the fronts

Thanks for the quick reply. I was concerned that they would be screw in like my 81ta. I want to have all the tools neccesary to do the brakes on saturday.
If they are like the front, no sweat.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

i went redneck and used channel lock pliers
Old 12-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Hi I just replaced the front rotors and brake pads on my ta, due warpage

I am getting ready to replace the rear rotors and pads. Do I need a special tool to compress the caliper piston on the rear calipers?
or will I be able to use my c-clamp.
thanx
You know if you replace your brakes because of Warpage with new stcok rotor's, guess what? its going to happen again. My friend had to replace his three times -Till i got my TA and i did the same thing trying to slow it down at about 130mph...Thank god i worked at a chevy dealership at the gym and one of the master mechanics told me to just get them cut/machined. He explained how they warp is coused by the heat so there for-ones you heat them up and warp a set of rotors-it wont happen again to that set, its almost like Heat treating them. So save your self some money and get them Machined
Old 12-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

GM rotors suck.

...and yes, a c clamp will do the trick.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another C-clamp suggestion, if the others weren't enough.

I think I have autozone rotors though, they may or may not be better (or different) than GM's.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6RAGE
You know if you replace your brakes because of Warpage with new stcok rotor's, guess what? its going to happen again. My friend had to replace his three times -Till i got my TA and i did the same thing trying to slow it down at about 130mph...Thank god i worked at a chevy dealership at the gym and one of the master mechanics told me to just get them cut/machined. He explained how they warp is coused by the heat so there for-ones you heat them up and warp a set of rotors-it wont happen again to that set, its almost like Heat treating them. So save your self some money and get them Machined
my front ones warped, i replaced them, and guess what, they warped again, i guess this is what i have to do, i couldnt machine the oem set, they were already beyond minium machine too thinkness
Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Another C-clamp suggestion, if the others weren't enough.

I think I have autozone rotors though, they may or may not be better (or different) than GM's.
I have had problems with rotors warping since buying the car. The last set i bought were the cheap-*** Autozone, $30.00 jobbers. 20,000 miles on them and they still haven't warped! I was thinking about getting "better" rotors, but I'll buy 10 pair of Autozone rotors and still be under the cost of Baer or Brembo rotors. I'd rather spend money elsewhere.

As for the question, yes, c-clamp works fine. Shouldn't take you longer than 5 minutes on each side. Piece of cake.

Brian
Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
Is this with ALL brands or just certain ones?
Old 02-23-2014, 04:51 AM
11 Second Club

im still on the same rotors i bought my car with in 2006. same rear pads too also. But yes a c-clamp will work, as will a big flathead, channel lock, prybar, etc. ive used them all
Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I got tired of warped rotors on the Firebirds I had so when I got the Trans Am and warped my first pair, I did the C-5 front brake conversion and eliminated the problem completely.

Best damn mod I ever did.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Holly hell people the OP posted this damn near 10 YEARS ago. I hope he has it figured out by now.

What are you folks doing to warp your rotors? ( this applies to the guys posting in this decade)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 99z28monster
Holly hell people the OP posted this damn near 10 YEARS ago. I hope he has it figured out by now.

What are you folks doing to warp your rotors? ( this applies to the guys posting in this decade)
Driving fast.

Quick Reply: 1999 trans am rear brakes