Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duals Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duals Sound

I know this has been beaten to death and I have searched back like 6 months on this, but here goes.

I just put on LTs with cutouts and y going through my magnaflow. I hate the y-pipe setup, and am considering tsp duals. How much louder will the duals be compared to an ory, and compared to my having dual cutouts open (loud as hell)? Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Go to www.ls1sounds.com for some info.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if you can, find someone in your area with a true dual setup like that and listen to it in person. There is nothing over the internet that would do it justice. I finally got to hear one in person a few months ago, and it sounded nothing like the internet sound clips. It sounded way better, and is part of the reason why my car is getting some over the axle duals right now.

There will be a lot of people that say "Hands down, true duals will give you the best sound." To me, that isn't good advice on the subject of exhaust. It is way too personal for me to trust what someone tells me on here.

As far as the volume, it should be about the same. Not too many things are louder than a Magnaflow with an ORY. And it certainly won't be as loud as your cutouts.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

It will depend on the mufflers you use, I use the Bullets and it is loud as hell But I love them You cannot beat the sound of the duals dumped at the axles. It is funny to see people expressions when you floor it, there eyes just grow Get them and trust me you will be happy!

Dan
Old 12-28-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
As far as the volume, it should be about the same. Not too many things are louder than a Magnaflow with an ORY. And it certainly won't be as loud as your cutouts.
Really??? Because I didn't think my magnaflow and ory was that loud at all. I will post on my local board to see if I could come hear some peoples TD setups.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
Really??? Because I didn't think my magnaflow and ory was that loud at all. I will post on my local board to see if I could come hear some peoples TD setups.
The TSP true dual setup I heard really wasn't too terribly loud outside of the car. I never got a chance to ride in it, but I rolled down the track right beside him (and he was spraying the **** out of his car, so I got a good earful of his exhaust as he passed me). My Hooker through cats and LTs was almost as loud at WOT IMO.

Don't get me wrong, it was loud. I just thought it would be much louder. It was deep, and sounded very good.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

The TSP true dual setup I heard really wasn't too terribly loud outside of the car. I never got a chance to ride in it, but I rolled down the track right beside him (and he was spraying the **** out of his car, so I got a good earful of his exhaust as he passed me). My Hooker through cats and LTs was almost as loud at WOT IMO.

Don't get me wrong, it was loud. I just thought it would be much louder. It was deep, and sounded very good.

Mine is loud as hell outside the car, when ever I race people they complain because they cannot hear there car over mine!!! All the duals I have herd have been loud at WOT well only me and my buddy have them here in MN that I know of, so not to many I guess!!
Old 12-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yeah, the LTs really help in the volume department. Hell, my Hooker catback is very, very tame just rolling around town. It is almost stock muffler quiet. But at WOT, it sounds like the world is coming to an end. I can't wait to hear my TD setup on Thursday! Looks like I'll have to have my girlfriend drive it down the street for me again.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, the LTs really help in the volume department. Hell, my Hooker catback is very, very tame just rolling around town. It is almost stock muffler quiet. But at WOT, it sounds like the world is coming to an end. I can't wait to hear my TD setup on Thursday! Looks like I'll have to have my girlfriend drive it down the street for me again.
I did the same thing, had the GF floor it down the street I love the sound of the LT's, no cats, TD dumped at the axle

Dan
Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by ONGRNGO
I did the same thing, had the GF floor it down the street I love the sound of the LT's, no cats, TD dumped at the axle

Dan
She's too scared to floor my car...I tried to give her a lesson on 6th to 2nd downshifting one time, and it just wasn't quite working. She's just a little too timid...oh well. I can't have my dad do it either since he is afraid to drive my car. Guess I have everyone trained well around me
Old 12-28-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I LOVE my setup.... I have Jethot LT's, no cats, 3" pipes, X-pipe and 1 chamber flows.

There isn't a car alarm within 1/8 mile safe from my idling car. But if you don't like your exhaust loud....DO NOT GO WITH MY SETUP. You can barely hear yourself think inside or outside the car, idling or throttling.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 PM
bbz
TECH Regular

Simple question: What does TSP stand for?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Texas Speed and Performance

One of the sponsors ---------->

Old 12-29-2004, 01:12 AM
Launching!

I have true duals over the axel with Sweet Thunders and It was NO WHERE near as loud as I thought it would be... It almost sounds kind of tame to me, even at WOT. At least in the cab anyway. I have not had a chance to hear it any other way.... I love the way it sounds though!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had true duals less than a month after i heard them in person. they arent abnoxious loud put it that way, but for me they are just right. people will hear you when you want them to, or if you get a nice cam, they will hear and fear you
Old 12-29-2004, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW: When I go WOT with somebody right next to me it leaves one HELL of an impression. First thing they usually say is something like "your ****'s loud!!". I think an ORY with no cats and a loud cat-back or cutout is louder for sure but sounds much worse.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
FWIW: When I go WOT with somebody right next to me it leaves one HELL of an impression. First thing they usually see is something like "your ****'s loud!!". I think an ORY with no cats and a loud cat-back or cutout is louder for sure but sounds much worse.
as a matter of fact i was looking at some video of a dynotune i got done over the summer BEFORE i got my true duals. lets just say breakfast never tastes as good the first time
Old 12-29-2004, 03:43 AM
That's what she said...

i love my duals sure they are loud, but the reason they sound good is more than that. they are so deep, and they ROAR when you rhomp it.

i will also agree with the fact that all the sound clips in the world will not do the duals justice.

i scared off a race with a guy in a c5 vette tonight with a little 20mph 1st gear slam, the rear end broke out a bit and he would not line up with me again, no matter how slow i went
Old 12-29-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

I don't find my True Duals obnoxiously loud, at least compared to my previous LT/ORY/LM setup (it was obnoxious). We cruised from St. Louis to Springfield, MO for the Street Machine Nationals in September, and at 80 mph with windows down I could hold a conversation in the car. I think the quality of the sound is what truly seperates true duals.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I think the quality of the sound is what truly seperates true duals.
ABSOLUTELY.

It is a very clean, deep, rasp free sound.