Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

benchmark update

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation benchmark update

Update: I took the advice most of you gave me and took my car to the gang at LG Motorsports near my home. It dyno'd at 307.8/320.7

After much research including Jerami's thread "how to tell an SS/WS6/Firehawk is real", I'm still debating whether my baby is an SS. Here are some of the things that make me think it might be: (1) RPO WU8 located on the driver's side door. (2) Obvious exterior indicators such as SS hood, wheels, and spoiler. (3) VIN number pulled up as Z28/SS with my insurance company.

However, there are some things that make me suspicious too. (1) LG Motorsports said it didn't have the Billsteins or the stainless steel exhaust when I got it dyno'd. (2) 18 HP less than advertised. (3) No SLP sticker on the passenger door even though the Y2Y RPO code is present indicating it should have been sent to SLP for other upgrades.

What do you guys think? SLP has been closed since I bought the car, so I haven't been able to use them as a resource. If it is an SS with only 32,000 miles, do I have a problem with the missing 18 horse? Also, if it is an SS, how many different exhaust combos could you get from the dealership? I'm assuming that you get one from SLP and another from GM. Is the one from GM the same one that's found on the Z28? And if they're the same, then what's responsible for the HP increase over a Z28 in the ones coming from GM?

I'm very confused. I know I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but it's the principal of it all! Are the SLP cars more powerful than a GM SS (depending on goodies)? Please HELP!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:30 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if all the vins match and the WU8 code is present then you have an SS. your car is not missing any HP. if you read the guide you'd know the part where i covered this.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HawksLSS1
Update: I took the advice most of you gave me and took my car to the gang at LG Motorsports near my home. It dyno'd at 307.8/320.7

After much research including Jerami's thread "how to tell an SS/WS6/Firehawk is real", I'm still debating whether my baby is an SS. Here are some of the things that make me think it might be: (1) RPO WU8 located on the driver's side door. (2) Obvious exterior indicators such as SS hood, wheels, and spoiler. (3) VIN number pulled up as Z28/SS with my insurance company.

However, there are some things that make me suspicious too. (1) LG Motorsports said it didn't have the Billsteins or the stainless steel exhaust when I got it dyno'd. (2) 18 HP less than advertised. (3) No SLP sticker on the passenger door even though the Y2Y RPO code is present indicating it should have been sent to SLP for other upgrades.

What do you guys think? SLP has been closed since I bought the car, so I haven't been able to use them as a resource. If it is an SS with only 32,000 miles, do I have a problem with the missing 18 horse? Also, if it is an SS, how many different exhaust combos could you get from the dealership? I'm assuming that you get one from SLP and another from GM. Is the one from GM the same one that's found on the Z28? And if they're the same, then what's responsible for the HP increase over a Z28 in the ones coming from GM?

I'm very confused. I know I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, but it's the principal of it all! Are the SLP cars more powerful than a GM SS (depending on goodies)? Please HELP!

The missing 18 ponies are not really missing. At the dyno you got HP to the rear wheels. This will always be less than the engine HP. Most seem to agree that there is roughly a 12% loss, so from an engine standpoint you are getting about 344 which is not bad for an unmodded car.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

all advertised HP ratings sence 1972 have to be HP at the drive wheels
about the stock exhaust, Z28's have the dual rectangle ports, SS's have dual small chrome tips, the SLP SS's have SLP's dual/dual system which have dual tips per tail pipe and i believe that they are black
and what ever the vin and rpo codes say is what you have unless it was removed or changed
Old 12-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
all advertised HP ratings sence 1972 have to be HP at the drive wheels
Uh, I think I have to disagree with you here bud. Car manufactures do not rate hp at the rear wheels, it is flywheel rated. What they used to list was hp at the flywheel without any accessories pulling the motor down.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

"Another GM mandate required that all power ratings be given in net terms (including all accessories). Although that led to drastic drops in peak numbers, the new ratings were actually more accurate than the old gross power ratings because they were a better reflection of the power that actually hit the road."
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-2.shtml
Old 12-31-2004, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

unless im reading that wrong, its the HP hitting the road, as in power at the drive wheels
Old 12-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Teching In

unless im reading that wrong, its the HP hitting the road, as in power at the drive wheels
Most horsepower ratings that you find for cars are in BHP. This is Brake Horse Power. BHP is defined as the measure of power delivered at the crank, and thus available to do work for the operator. I think what your quote meant was that when put on the engine dyno, all accessories were either installed, or taken into account. This power rating is still taken at the flywheel, and does not include drivetrain loss. Drivetrain loss, of course, being inertia and friction of moving parts (after the flywheel). A good average for drivetrain loss is about 14-17% for RWD vehicles.

Hope that clears some stuff up.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

ok, i always had a feeling that i was reading it wrong, but wouldnt that be awsome if our cars did make 300+ at the wheels, after all the drivetrain loss and ****

oh wait, they do
Old 12-31-2004, 11:16 PM
Teching In

ok, i always had a feeling that i was reading it wrong, but wouldnt that be awsome if our cars did make 300+ at the wheels, after all the drivetrain loss and ****

oh wait, they do
Yeah, really.

It's all just about marketing, really. How would it look if the Camaro's and T/A's were making the same power as the flagship Corvette? Just some food for thought.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all SS's were created equal, a base model SS, is a z28 with an apperance package: hood, spoiler, wheels, differant tips. you could have spent the extra money and get SLP options added to the car like, exhaust, suspension, alburn posi/ diff cover, dash plaque, floor mats, Ect....