Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

SS Impala talkin smack

Old 12-31-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question SS Impala talkin smack

I work with a guy who has a friend who swears that his SS Impala (LT1) can smoke anybody. This kid has actually claimed to have raced ME!!! I have never ran this dude. Well The guy at work is throwing down $200 that i can smoke him, but since I have put my street racing shoes away and have promised my Fiance I will never street race again I handed this job over to a Lightning Buddy who runs 12.8's (he needs the cash) Well come to find out that this kid laughed about running the Lightning and told him to bring it, that he is even willing to throw a Grand that he can smoke the Lightning. So I talked to the guy who knows the SS impala who is fronting the money for this race and come to find out this kid has a 383 LT1. i have seen this car around town, he runs on 20's(ghetto fab) and there is no real cam lope to it that I have ever notice nor have I ever heard of this car being FAST. So Do you think the Lightning will have a problem owning this Kid or will I have to get my Tune in and run this Pucker at the Track (since I swore on my life thats the only place I will race)??????
Old 12-31-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those things weigh a ton, actually 2 tons. An L in the 12's should beat him. There are a few Impala's roaming around here that are tubbed and throw down some decent times, so try to find out what the kid has just to be on the safe side. I'd put my money on the L though. What does the L have, he want to make a safe bet out of it and get another bolt on or 2.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

The kid probably bought the SS with all the mods done already. He probably put the rims on. The SS probably isnt running as well as he thinks and needs a tune. I'd put my money on you or the L. Dont get me wrong i really like the impala SS, but everyone should know there place.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no way to tell. If the LT1 is running well he will easily be past 12.8s. Not trying to be an *******, but saying "an L in the 12s should beat a 383 Imp SS" is retarded. The same as saying "An L in 12s should beat a 382 LS1". Just retarded.

Originally Posted by Matt SS
Dont get me wrong i really like the impala SS, but everyone should know there place.
Yeah, I guess they should. You know, all Imps are slow.

650rwhp MORE built LT4. Daily driven 10s.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Hey, I love the B-body! I owned a 94 9C1 Caprice and it was a great car. But someone who puts getto 20in rims on an SS just doesnt care about going fast. 20in rims are no good for racing! Thats what led me to the conclusion that the car may not be that fast.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Enisguy-a little harsh but true.
Why don't we say all Geo-Metros are slow too? Especially the one around my town that's tubbed, tubed, and has a blown 468.
Don't expect all cars that share the same model name to perform the same.
But, if he's dumb enough to put 20's(useless) on his car I doubt he's smart enough to keep the thing in shape, know exactly what it is, or even drive it, so it sounds like a competent driver in a 12 sec. car could handle business.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt SS
Hey, I love the B-body! I owned a 94 9C1 Caprice and it was a great car. But someone who puts getto 20in rims on an SS just doesnt care about going fast. 20in rims are no good for racing! Thats what led me to the conclusion that the car may not be that fast.
Maybe he has a set of draglights in the garage with some et streets on them. He just rolls deep on the 20s because he likes the way they look then switches out when he runs. I've got a few friends that run that way works well for them.

Last edited by King02SS; 12-31-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

A 383 LT1 should be more than enough to take down STOCK camaro's and possibly some lightly modded ones depending on how aggressive he went on the build.

My car stock is good for beating GTPs and almost mustang GTs.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

i have seen many cars out here in south fl pull wheelies and bust 11's or 10's and thats with 20 inch wires up front or ghetto wheels ,last outlaw races i saw at moroso race track there was a cuttlass with tv's,20 inch wheels up front along with amps and all the other crap,and slicks on welds out back,it yanked the drivers side wheel like a foot in the air,so don't go by looks cause you'll loose money,i would tell the dude in the lighting to put a bottle on it for good luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My personal best without the juice is a 12.65 at 106 mph. That was with a stock shortblock, ported iron heads, and a 3500 stall converter. I know of at least three stock shortblock imps that are faster than me, including one in Dallas that has run 12.17.

Just because he has a 383 doesn't make him fast - I've beaten plenty of 383 impalas. But don't count him out just because he drives an impy.

Karl Ellwein's Heavy Eliminator Page Pay particular attention to any reference to 'Snowflake' you might see. Snowflake is a 9c1 running a 355 with LT4 heads, among other stuff
Old 01-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stonebreaker
My personal best without the juice is a 12.65 at 106 mph. That was with a stock shortblock, ported iron heads, and a 3500 stall converter. I know of at least three stock shortblock imps that are faster than me, including one in Dallas that has run 12.17.

Just because he has a 383 doesn't make him fast - I've beaten plenty of 383 impalas. But don't count him out just because he drives an impy.

Karl Ellwein's Heavy Eliminator Page Pay particular attention to any reference to 'Snowflake' you might see. Snowflake is a 9c1 running a 355 with LT4 heads, among other stuff
nice!
Old 01-01-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Well this car has no Juice, and its a young Kid, most likely blew his 1st LT1 and bought a crate 383 LT1. Like I have said, I have seen this Kid around town, never even look more then twice at the car myself (damn 20's are f'n ugly on any car, damn wagon wheels) it doesnt have any lope at all, and it doesnt even sound like he has aftermarket exhaust. So with that info, whats the 411 YO
Old 01-01-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Careful going by sound though the bigger bore/stroke of a 383 can cover up cams that a 350 can't. Also I'm running through the stock muffler I'm not an impala but I'm plenty quick. So please for the poor truck guys sake don't go by your ears. The impy kid doesn't need an ego as big as the wagon wheels he's ruining that car with. The kid is probably BSing like you said though.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

hey darren i say they will have to run thats the only way we will know

and tell mike to run that ******
Old 01-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Hahaha....I think I have seen this kid too...

I'll run him for you!
Old 01-01-2005, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Why would YOU run him? You would get killed in your viper... lol

Totally unfair race. That would be like racing a Civic with an R1.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Damillio
Why would YOU run him? You would get killed in your viper... lol

Totally unfair race. That would be like racing a Civic with an R1.
Haha...You never know

I would like it if he beat me, but I highly doubt he would.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Why would you want him to beat you? So you will mod your car more? Thats what always happens to me, if I get beat, I go home and look up more stuff to do to my car and get revenge! But I highly doubt he will beat you, your car looks sweet too! I need to hit the lottery!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Well Mike's Itching to race him, the guy at work is setting up the race so I'll find out monday whats going down. Than if By some freakin MIRACLE this ghetto fab kid wins, I will try to get this kid to the track if the bottle doesnt blow my motor
Old 01-02-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ooohh ooohhh ooohhh, I'll run him. I'll put some cash on it too. (I need the money) We need to talk him into runnin at the track. That way when he loses he has no excuses. (other than the the Impala is just slow)

Search this Thread