Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Mean sounding 398ci Stroker LT1 vs. Scared Ole' Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mean sounding 398ci Stroker LT1 vs. Scared Ole' Cobra

So I was out at the usual spot this past week and all these ricers were burning it up and doing these runs. Well it all calmed down and it seemed like everyone was ready to pack up and leave.. until this guy pulled in with a blue C4. The car looked beautiful.. it was slammed to the ground, and I could see a roll cage, so I knew he wasn't playin' around. On the rear window I saw an emblem with "398 LT1" on it.. and so I started talking to the guy.

We shot the **** around for a couple of minutes and he asked what I had done.. I told him just the usual bolt ons. I asked him and he said he purchased the car from a previous owner who built the 398 stroker with ported heads and a custom cam. It sounded mean as hell. Then upon further inspection I noticed two nitrous bottles semi-hidden in the back... so I asked him about it. He said the car made 405whp on motor and 550whp on nitrous, with a 125shot. But he said he doesn't have his nitrous pilled correctly so he's not spraying. Cool, not like I haven't heard that before.

After awhile we decide to line it up.

I do a good burnout.. we get up to the line, and a flagger comes out. Revs go to 2500.. and I slip the clutch as soon as the flagger flags. As soon as the clutch bit.. the tires let loose. I feathered it through first, spinning with him a car ahead of me, slammed second, went halfway into the other lane (we started two lanes apart), and the Nitto's hooked and I jumped a car ahead. But as soon as I started pulling ahead, I heard "BAAAAAAAAHHHHHRRRRRR" like he just hit the throttle. Actually it sounded like he hit the nitrous. So I look over.. and he's right next to me. I chirp third and he's still right there. Make the 4th gear change and I start to inch him out.. we shut it down with me about a fender ahead cause we were running out of room.

We turn around and run from a 1st gear three honk. Honk... honk... honk and I instantly pull a full car ahead. Those tires hooked good this time. Throw 2nd and I pull ahead half a car and missed 3rd.. I haven't done that in awhile. I was actually get a little nervous lol.

We got back and shook hands.. I didn't bother asking if he sprayed on me or not.. I had a feeling he did but it was all good. I've ran too many LS1's making more power than that stroker car did on motor and I've walked on them pretty good.

Later that night I also heard from a friend of mine with a Mach1 with bolt ons ran that same C4, and the C4 only beat him by a car and a half. Then some other people were telling me how they have ran that guy before and he wasn't all that fast.. and these are all the people who I would destroy in a race.

Either way, it was a fun night and he was a pretty cool, yet sneaky guy.

I also ended up running my friend in a single turbo Supra. The Supra made 683whp unlocked tranny and went 10.2 @ 133mph on race gas.. but he was pump gas that night. He said if he had to guess he was pushing around 520whp. We were even but he would pull on me every shift.. ended up with a car ahead of me at 120mph.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

Nice kill and death.What do you have done to your car?
Old 01-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Just the basic crap.. a K&N filter, exhaust, chip and pulley.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Turkey
Just the basic crap.. a K&N filter, exhaust, chip and pulley.
Yeah...just the basics.

K&N FIPK
Steeda 2.80 upper pulley
Kooks Long Tubes
Catted H-Pipe
Bassani Catback
Revolution tune
Nitto 315/35/17 DRs
Ford's Always Dirty Rear Bumper Mod

468hp, 495trq, 11.73 @ 118.6mph hot-lapped, still not enough.

LFP 2lb lower
LFP Heat Exchanger
481hp, 528trq, no times yet.

Misc. crap: Steeda springs, KB IRS Brace, MJ's Diff Brace, IRS and Diff bushings.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Nice run, sounds like your car's running well.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:05 PM
12 Second Club

Good runs! Sounds like you have got a strong runner! Gotta love those Cobras! 405 RWHP sounds really weak for a stroked LT1.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Good runs! Sounds like you have got a strong runner! Gotta love those Cobras! 405 RWHP sounds really weak for a stroked LT1.
Same thing I was thinking... 405rwhp for a 398ci LT1? Oh well...

Nice runs!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice Kill! I would think the C4 would be making more power as well... You think its just not tuned or tuned really shittily?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Big Turkey you wouldn't be from nasioc would you?
Old 01-01-2005, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Big Turkey

I also ended up running my friend in a single turbo Supra. The Supra made 683whp unlocked tranny and went 10.2 @ 133mph on race gas.. but he was pump gas that night. He said if he had to guess he was pushing around 520whp. We were even but he would pull on me every shift.. ended up with a car ahead of me at 120mph.
Was that Duy's Supra??? If so, yes..that car loves the C16!!!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Nice Kill! I would think the C4 would be making more power as well... You think its just not tuned or tuned really shittily?
He had told me that the car was tuned for the nitrous and also the cam was for nitrous as well. He also had just ported stock heads and not aftermarket ones.. but I always thought that the aftermarket ones were ported stock ones? Either way if that car did put down 405hp on motor there is no way he would have kept up with me.. I'm not trying to sound cocky but I'm just laying the numbers out. I've ran alot of LS1's in the 410-430whp range and I pull away in 4th almost every time. And this was before my 2lb lower and retune, I only had my upper pulley and only 18deg. of timing advance in the tune. Extremely conservative.

Originally Posted by unit213
Yeah...just the basics.

K&N FIPK
Steeda 2.80 upper pulley
Kooks Long Tubes
Catted H-Pipe
Bassani Catback
Revolution tune
Nitto 315/35/17 DRs
Ford's Always Dirty Rear Bumper Mod

468hp, 495trq, 11.73 @ 118.6mph hot-lapped, still not enough.

LFP 2lb lower
LFP Heat Exchanger
481hp, 528trq, no times yet.

Misc. crap: Steeda springs, KB IRS Brace, MJ's Diff Brace, IRS and Diff bushings.
Hey now, that's still the basic bolt ons. Nothing serious at all.

Originally Posted by GO4URS
Was that Duy's Supra??? If so, yes..that car loves the C16!!!!!
Yeah that was him. He's a good friend of mine and I know I don't stand a chance from a stop and with him on race gas.. so I called him up out of the blue and he said he didn't have any race gas, and I said perfect. LOL that car is still a strong runner.

Originally Posted by geronimo66
Big Turkey you wouldn't be from nasioc would you?
Yep that's me. Traded the Scooby after trying to break into the 11s on pump gas with the Green.. was just hitting consistent 12.10s.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:06 AM
TECH Addict

That was a shitty tuned stroker! Good kill!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Teching In

figured that was you, cool stuff. I hope to jump over or back to a RWD V8 car... keeping the scooby for winter duty.

Would love another Stang but for my budget I can get more in an F-car. I've always liked the idea of a 96-98 5.0L Cobra stroker with much boost.

But the prices havn't fallen enough on them, and a H/C/NOS LS1 is easy on the pocket book.

GL with the Cobra... soon you'll be knocking on 99wnx's door