Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks for all of the help, plans finalyzed inside, comments welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks for all of the help, plans finalyzed inside, comments welcome.

First off thanks for all of the help from sponsors as well as members. I have finalyzed my plans and here they are. This board really helps me make a lot of educated, and some not educated, guesses and decisions on setups. Anyway;

I will be running the T&D Shaft Rockers, 1.7 ratio. I will have to slot the pushrod whole in the head and with the help of Jason at Thunder have guessed that a 7.2" pushrodd will get the job done with my 5.3 liter heads cut .030", stock lenght manley valves, 1.8" installed hight (with .010" varience), and comp r lifters (pro magnum lifters). If a different lenght is required I will simply send them back but figured I might as well give it a chance and if we guessed right I will be driving my car this weekend, wooho. If not oh well.

Synopsis of combo:
5.3 litre heads with 2.02"/1.60" Manley valves, patriot spring kit, home ported by myself, 3 angle valve job done by machine shop, milled .030" by machine shop, valve height setup by machine shop (1.8" +/- .010" variance verified by myself which is normal according to Jason).

I have gone through a water jacket in the swirl ramp in the head in the number two cylinder intake port so I fixed it with sheet metal and jb weld smoothed out by myself with a die grinder. I know I am going to here it about this so if you guys have any factual experience with JB Weld in a similar cirumstance then let me know. Hell, if it leaks I will pull the head and have it welded.

LS6 manifold ported by me including porting the sides walls close to the gaskets and doing a lot of work in the injector area smoothing into a nice smooth transition instead of the square that existed previously. I actually went slightly through the injector bosses (.009" or so spot you can barely see) so I JB Welded that very liberally and painted the whole intake grey so you can barely notice. Once again if you have any factual experience with JB Weld in a similar cirumstance then let me know. If it leaks I will buy an lsx.

Injectos are a 37 lb/hr Delphi Unit.

Boltons inlcude: Edlebrock stepped headers with merge collectors, shaner s2 tb, ftra ram air, texas speed lid 85 mm neck, 85 mm maf, asp pulley, open headers for now.

I run 4.56 gears in a moser twelve bolt with a spool, solid collar, and the gears as setup by me, not moser. (the rear came with 4.11s, eaton posy, and a crush sleave).

My suspension is going to hurt me and it includes a panhard rod, lower control arms, lower control arm relocation brackets in the bottom whole, a trans mount torque arm, and slp frame connectors. I will be cutting the diamond part out of the frame connectors to shed some weight and make room for the 3.5" side exit exhaust with borla xr-1 mufflers that I will eventually run after the financial impact of the shaft rockers disappates. I have stock shocks and springs in both the front and rear, this will not be good me thinks.

Cam: 239/246 at .050" .651"/.613" 106lsa 106icl LSK Lobe/XE-R Lobe comp cam.

Tune: Open loop if I can get it to run with the maf sensor, if not SD here I come.

Any comments, tips, or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

how big are the stepped headers?i was thinking about merge collectors as i hear they help increase torque thru the rpm range, but you have to get the right combination of cam/heads/headers to get them to work properly.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

My headers are 1 3/4" to 1 7/8". I think these headers will be very beneficial with cams with lots of overlap. I think my cam might have a little overlap
Old 01-03-2005, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Will that cam clear with the shaved heads?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_z
Will that cam clear with the shaved heads?
With .090" flycuts it will.