Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Help!

I'm looking to buy RUQUIK's T/A. I think his cam might be more than what I'm looking for. Here are the specs:
Magic Stick 240/244, .608"/.612" LSA
I know this sounds odd, but can somebody describe to me how this is going to sound. I asked him and he said it was choppy. Is this going to have a rough idle, like it's going to die at idle, or do they just sound like that upon starting the car. Any help would be appreciated.
He also has TS&P Stage III Heads. If this cam is too agressive, could someone recomend one a little bit more tame, but still with a little bit of ***** behind it.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:46 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say you bought yourself one mean daily driveable setup.
It will lope hard at idle.
If it's tuned properly, it should not die at idle and it should not surge too much at all.
I wouldn't take that cam out unless you've tuned it and it still gives you problems. That's one sweet cam.

2 questions: auto or manual tranny? what kinda gear is he running out back?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I say you bought yourself one mean daily driveable setup.
It will lope hard at idle.
If it's tuned properly, it should not die at idle and it should not surge too much at all.
I wouldn't take that cam out unless you've tuned it and it still gives you problems. That's one sweet cam.

2 questions: auto or manual tranny? what kinda gear is he running out back?
6 SPEED, STOCK 10 BOLT WITH 342'S I BELIEVE. HE ALREADY HAS IT TUNED, I'M JUST NOT TOO SURE ABOUT CAMS. KNOW WHAT SOUND I LIKE, BUT AS FAR AS PERFORMANCE, DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE IS WHICH.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a big cam. The lower the LSA the "lopier" it gets. Duration helps with the lope too. Anything over 226 is usually considered big for a stock motor... A 112 LSA may be too much for you..you could do 113 or 114. What are you looking to get out of the cam?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:28 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NassyVette
Thats a big cam. The lower the LSA the "lopier" it gets. Duration helps with the lope too. Anything over 226 is usually considered big for a stock motor... A 112 LSA may be too much for you..you could do 113 or 114. What are you looking to get out of the cam?

230 duration cams are more and more common every day and very streetable with today's tuning. 240 durations are on the large end, but still streetable with proper tuning. 226 is rather small nowadays.
I agree with your "What are you looking to get out of the cam?" statement however.

The thread starter should know he has a very aggressive (for a stock ci motor) setup built into his purchase. I would stick with the setup, as most people waste about 2 years building up to that setup in a progression of small to mid to larger cam purchases and head swaps. If it's too aggressive, then the cam could be scaled down a bit, (but the stage III heads would be pissed IMO ).

The TSP MS3 (the cam currently in the car) is streetable and one of the better cams available on the market as it incorporates incredible top end power with a streetable low end and good mid range.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, id say that h/c combo is matched up pretty well. the only thing i may add is u may wanna look into some bigger gears for the back. it will make that car more fun to drive. u see, with that big of a cam, your power isnt going to wake up til higher in the rpm band, so youre gonna have a lil lag time til the power kicks in. thats where the gears come in. u know how u seem to have good pull all over the rpm band with a stock car?? well, thats cuz the power:gears is matched up really well. with this setup u have, having bigger gears in the rear end (3.73 or 4.10) will allow u to spin the motor up faster, getting u into the power band quicker. i hope that makes sense. im in the same situation...i need some bigger gears in my rear cuz of my new h/c setup, but im thinking i might wait til i can afford a 12 bolt and do it all at once. anyway, good luck man, thats a sick car u got there
Old 01-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The35thZ
yeah, id say that h/c combo is matched up pretty well. the only thing i may add is u may wanna look into some bigger gears for the back. it will make that car more fun to drive. u see, with that big of a cam, your power isnt going to wake up til higher in the rpm band, so youre gonna have a lil lag time til the power kicks in. thats where the gears come in. u know how u seem to have good pull all over the rpm band with a stock car?? well, thats cuz the power:gears is matched up really well. with this setup u have, having bigger gears in the rear end (3.73 or 4.10) will allow u to spin the motor up faster, getting u into the power band quicker. i hope that makes sense. im in the same situation...i need some bigger gears in my rear cuz of my new h/c setup, but im thinking i might wait til i can afford a 12 bolt and do it all at once. anyway, good luck man, thats a sick car u got there
I think if I get the car I'll keep the stock rear untilit goes, and jsut save up for a 12 bolt with posi. I'be read that 4:10 gears, you end up having to shift right at the end of the quarter, thus losing valuable time. So I'll probably get 3:73's in the 12 bolt. Thanks alot for all the help guys. Makes me feel a little bit more knowledgable about my upcoming purchase.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

nah man, ask anyone.....u want 4.10s with a 6 speed
Old 01-08-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

anyone care to chime in??
Old 01-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you want 4.10's or 4.11's with a 6 speed. Just uprade your valve train to extend the engine's rpm range, then you still don't have to shift.