Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMMG install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMMG install question

I just ordered my GMMG and Have a quick question, How easy is the install on the GMMG?? could a local shop install with no probs?? Also I was reading a post a while back on a install of GMMG and i cant rememeber word for word what he said, something about a plate or the exhaust rattling on the gas tank or something
Old 01-03-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

The GMMG is straight forward to install. The mufflers sometimes will come close or rattle against the gas tank heat shield. Nothing a BFH or similair mod won't fix.

YOu'll love it.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install took a friend and myself about 20 minutes to install. Jack the rear pretty high and it's very straightforward. My pipes were incredibly close to rattling, but LTs have taken care of that issue somehow. You'll enjoy it.

-J
Old 01-04-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only difficulty I had was trying to get the tailpipes set even...because it's all welded, I can't get the tailpipes to be perfectly even (one sags)...then again, I'm very **** about these things.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A local shop could do it in a flash. You could just do it yourself. Get the *** end high enough and it's no prob. Taking the old catback off is easiest with 2 cuts. The new setup will not have incredible clearance under the heatshield. My clearance is good enough though, no rattling. You will L-O-V-E the sound.

LawmanSS, if your tip is saggin on the drivers side. You should get a #36 or #40 hose clamp and put on the rubber hangar. Tighten it as necessary until they are even. That's what I did, saw it in a thread on here. If it's on the passenger side, I dont know what to tell you.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
LawmanSS, if your tip is saggin on the drivers side. You should get a #36 or #40 hose clamp and put on the rubber hangar. Tighten it as necessary until they are even. That's what I did, saw it in a thread on here. If it's on the passenger side, I dont know what to tell you.
Thanks...sounds like that may work.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

I installed mine myself pretty easily...and I had never installed a catback before. No rattles and plenty of clearance here.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

It took us about 20 minutes to put mine on once we got the blowmaster off. We also used a lift. That helps.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gettinthere
That helps.
Quite a bit
Old 01-06-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Had to have the *** end up pretty damn high...one cut on the stock pipe, and it slid right out, and the GMMG slid right in. Had it done in about 1/2 hour after it was in the air.

Tip alignment wasn't the best, but i fixed that by using a hose clamp around the driver side exhaust hanger to pull it up a little on that side.

For the passenger side tip hangin low, I put a couple large washers underneath the metal part of the hanger. They sit inside the hanger on top of the rubber, but below the metal part of the hanger. The more washers you use, the higher the passenger side will get. Worked great for me and the washers havent fallen out yet.

No rattling here....fitment is good.