Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TA front disk brakes - terrible

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA front disk brakes - terrible

ok, I have had my 02, well since 02. I have had 77 and 67 and never had the crap experience of front disks as I have had on my 02.

I have 40k miles and am on my way to my second set of rotors.
What is up with the stock crap?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people seem to have problems with rotors warping and some don't ?? I road raced on my stock brakes for a summer and never did warp the rotors even though I got them hot enough so that they went away completely numerous times. Once they cooled down and I bled them out they were just as good as ever ? I've still got those un warped rotors out in my garage. I don't know what to tell you other than big brake kits are available if you want them
Old 01-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't know but when I saw the service history on my car, the first owner had all kinds of hassles with brakes, replacing rotors, etc. In the year and a half I've had it, they've been fine (except for the master cylinder which is starting to feel like it's going south - at 44k).
Old 01-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Ya I know, just bitching about a 33K$ car having crap for factory brakes and not wanting to shell out 2K for aftermarket

Originally Posted by Racehead
Some people seem to have problems with rotors warping and some don't ?? I road raced on my stock brakes for a summer and never did warp the rotors even though I got them hot enough so that they went away completely numerous times. Once they cooled down and I bled them out they were just as good as ever ? I've still got those un warped rotors out in my garage. I don't know what to tell you other than big brake kits are available if you want them
Old 01-04-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The brakes on my car SUCK! The rotors and front pads are fine, but the rear pads seem low. In the morning when its not all the way warmed up yet, and the idle is still around 1000-900 i basically have to stomp on the brakes to keep it from moving.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Maybe it is just my 02 TA then. I really doubt it has anything to do with my driving as I have had and do have many cars and have zero issues with them.

I guess I will have to fork out 2k to get brakes that last longer than 5k before the rotors need turning -=-- again, and again...
Old 01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

This thread belongs in the "Handling & Braking" section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/

Here are a few links to get you started:
(This is just a sampling, there are plenty more.)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/185268-power-stop-rotors.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=warp
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=rotor
Old 01-05-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

go with brembo OEM or KVR blanks, only like 70 a set. try tirerack.com fro the Brembo.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by regniguy
I guess I will have to fork out 2k to get brakes that last longer than 5k before the rotors need turning -=-- again, and again...
Turning ?? If you are in fact having your rotors turned then IMO that's where your problem is. These rotors are too thin to begin with, when you turn them they get thinner, warp easier etc. When they warp put new ones on. It really is the best policy.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

I'll be going with brembo blanks or a set of rotors from wholesale direct when I do my brakes. Mine are warped beyond belief
Old 01-06-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

I had horrible problems with my stock rotors as well. I changed to the power slots and I'm really happy with them. They've been on the car for about 40K now and no problems.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=21
Old 01-06-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

If I remember correctly, the stock rotors were made in Mexico out of crap steel. And GM new it, and somebody said when theirs were replaced the dealership admitted it. I think. Regardless, everyone knows those rotors are crap. Mine were warped at about 20k miles (but my wife did drive the car a lot...). My Autozone rotors have held up fine to some brutal driving conditions.

When I knew they were warped, I took my car to the dealershipm and told them to look at the brakes, and let me know what it would cost to replace. They said they were fine. Keep in mind, my steering wheel bucked like a bull when you hit the brakes. Dealerships and techs = retards. Here I was, ready to throw my money at them to replace my rotors, and they were too lazy to do it. Anyways, I did the job myself for about $125 or something like that.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:40 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My front factory rotors on my 2000 were garbage too. They were replaced once within the first three months of ownership, and turned multiple times (all under warranty). I swapped all four rotors nearly three years ago for Baer Eradispeeds. I've had ZERO problems since (which was about 70,000 miles ago).