Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Oil after headers??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning Oil after headers??

I installed MAC with ORY, ever since the car will puff burnt oil out the exhaust when is revved over 5000 , I never really noticed it before the headers. Has anybody had this problem, or have I cracked are ring or something??
Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 AM

Does it have low miles on the setup? Headers usually have some cutting oil left inside them that will burn off with higher RPMs as the more heat travels down the pipes.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

LS1's burn a little oil anyways (we all know that). So when you removed the cats, the minute oil burned just goes straight through to the back.
I cured mine wa long time ago with a catch can.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The car has 67K. Can you explain the catch can?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

In brief, we have a crappy PCV system that tends to suck oil back into intake (just open your TB blade and peek inside with a flashlight).
So on the passenger side the pcv hose goes to a catch can and then from the catch can to the PCV valve. I put a VW clear fuel filter between CC and PCV in case some oil vapors didn't have time to condense and gather in the can.
Do a search, and you'll find lots of info. The favorites are AMW and Greddy.

Another way to do it is a LS6 PCV system, but it requires intake removal and block machining, however also works well.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
In brief, we have a crappy PCV system that tends to suck oil back into intake (just open your TB blade and peek inside with a flashlight).
So on the passenger side the pcv hose goes to a catch can and then from the catch can to the PCV valve. I put a VW clear fuel filter between CC and PCV in case some oil vapors didn't have time to condense and gather in the can.
Do a search, and you'll find lots of info. The favorites are AMW and Greddy.

Another way to do it is a LS6 PCV system, but it requires intake removal and block machining, however also works well.
AMW CATCH CAN
I never looked back

Todd Kay
E-mail Address(es):
tkay@accmachtech.com
Old 01-05-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dark smoke coming out of the exhaust at high rpm's? Sounds like you are just running rich and could use a tune.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can smell the burning oil, I know LS1's go through some oil. If I rev it once to 6000 it will puff out a cloud kinda embarrassing, I think I will try the catch can.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Have the same issue, and it only became a real problem after I installed my macs with an ORP. It is definitely embarrassing!

Catch can didn't help me, and probably won't help you since the issue is most likely blow-by at WOT. The jist of it is, we have low-tension oil rings in our engine. By adding headers "something" got disturbed as far as the pressures in the engine goes. I would imagine a very good crankcase evac system would cure the problem, but there is no bolt in system for the LS1. You'd have to fab something up.

Ahhhhh , fun!

Tommy
Old 01-06-2005, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You installed the ORY at the same time? Im gonna agree with 5point7 and say that its running rich. Headers are known to run pig-rich at WOT. Also, LS1s do burn a little bit of oil normally, especially at high RPMs. Check to see if your car uses more oil now between changes. I think alot has to do with not having cats to sanitize the exhaust anymore.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Mine did the same thing after I put the Macs on. I thought it was just rich but it was tuned by FMS and it's not rich anymore. The last pull on the dyno was just like the first, very smokey. I tend to think it's in the rings like stated above. I plan on doing a rebuild soon so I'm just going to keep living with the James Bond smoke screen. Almost forgot, mine only does it at high RPM's as well.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem with my Macs and ORY and i put the catch can in and it still does it definetley sux to puff smoke going to redo my valve seals sense i'm doing a cam swap
BTLFEDSS
Old 01-06-2005, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

i have sprayed tons of nitrous, have 40,000 miles on the car now and have had macs on it with ory for 2 weeks now, no smoke or anything like that at all.. i wonder if i should do the catchcan mod tho.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

I'm starting to wonder now....

You know, my smoking problem def. stated with my Macs and ORP, and other obviously are having the same experience. I am burning ALOT of oil. More than a quart every 700 miles! But I rev my engine to the moon very very often. I was planning on going with a new bottom end next year, (with good ol' fashion) normal tension oil rings. I wonder if it's not worth trying a different brand of headers first?!?! Many people with Macs have had a similiar experience.

Very suspicious....

Tommy
Old 01-07-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not sure how a header could affect your oil consumption. Especially since MACs fall right inbetween shorties and long tubes, its not like MACs are on one extreme end or the other. I would think its coincidental.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Could it be that that particular size/length tube causes some kind of resonation that causes oil consumption. We all know Macs tend to have a rasp.....

Tommy