Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Pass Emissions Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Do You Pass Emissions Or Not?

Im trying to figure out what most of the people on the board are doing when the DO NOT pass emissions. I have been looking into getting a new cam for the ls1 but im not sure if its worth to try and stay within cali's emissions requirments. On a pair of stock heads, (only real mods are a lid and catback), and LT's with cats, what could be the biggest cam that would deliver the best power and still passing emissions?

For all of you that dont pass emissions, isnt there A HUGE fine that you have to pay becasue your not meeting the emissions requirments? I just love to throw a mean cam with a nice lift, but i cant. My car is more of a daily driver, and im just trying to think of the best possible solutions....

Thanks again fellas.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98'MidnightBlueBird'
Im trying to figure out what most of the people on the board are doing when the DO NOT pass emissions. I have been looking into getting a new cam for the ls1 but im not sure if its worth to try and stay within cali's emissions requirments. On a pair of stock heads, (only real mods are a lid and catback), and LT's with cats, what could be the biggest cam that would deliver the best power and still passing emissions?

For all of you that dont pass emissions, isnt there A HUGE fine that you have to pay becasue your not meeting the emissions requirments? I just love to throw a mean cam with a nice lift, but i cant. My car is more of a daily driver, and im just trying to think of the best possible solutions....

Thanks again fellas.
How do you pass with the long tubes?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1_doc
How do you pass with the long tubes?
only real mods are a lid and catback so far.....
Old 01-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

-From what I hear, the biggest cam you can pass with in Cali is 224 with lsa 114 for auto's and 112 for M6. I would get Mac's mids unless you know a shady inspector who will pass you. I am moving back to Cali myself at the end of the month.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

So what happens if i decide to screw emissions? haha how big is the fine.... So what do so many people on the board do when they get Lt's??
Old 01-05-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what happens if i decide to screw emissions? haha how big is the fine.... So what do so many people on the board do when they get Lt's??
Hmm..
Besides be smogged more times than you care to count. The fine is more than just doing the mods correctly the first time

I have stock manifolds and exhaust currently, but I also have TR224 114LSA and stage 2 heads. With my current tune, my car should pass without any problems.

Once the smog is outta the way, I can open the exhaust up again.

I say just do it within the proper limits the first time. And just swap exhausts when it comes time to smog.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Banned

thanks but

so what happens if i want to put a t-rex cam in? ( not really) But im not going to bother swapping an new cam, new headers when i have to test for emissions.... blahh.... i was wondering

"For all of you that dont pass emissions, isnt there A HUGE fine that you have to pay becasue your not meeting the emissions requirments?"
Old 01-05-2005, 10:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

"For all of you that dont pass emissions, isnt there A HUGE fine that you have to pay becasue your not meeting the emissions requirments?"
Quick explaination:

It doesn't work that way in most (if not all) states that do testing, no 'fine' so to speak. Either you pass, or find a way to get your car exempted if possibile (exemption requirements will vary from state to state), or your plates and license will be suspended (again, in most states that do testing). There is no option to just pay a fine and be on your way.

Reason why many here don't worry about emissions is that many states only do a OBD scan test for '96 and up cars now, which means no sniffer. Basically, anything can pass with the proper tuning under that test. Also, some states (and lesser populated counties within most states) just don't test period.

CA is different. You have the scan plus IM240 roller (sniff) test, and a visual. Unless you can find a shop that will pass you based on the amount of cash you happen to drop out of a hole in your pocket when you walk in the door, you have no option but to retain stock manifolds/cats (or at least ones that are CARB legal, but no LTs for LS1s are CARB legal). That, or regester your car in a different state (you'd need a vaild address in that different state though).....

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-05-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

my brother's lt1 with hot cam 218/228 .525 .525 112lsa , ported lt4 heads, singe cat passed CLEAN..and very clean. both were impressed. just to let those who think the hot cam won't pass...it will cuz it did
Old 01-05-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

it was also a a4, stock TC
Old 01-05-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1s are extremely clean motors. i know of a bunch of people who have passed in full bolt-on and even small cam cars with no cats.

personally, i can't wait till they switch over to OBD-II scans instead of sniffer tests.