Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

views on 4l60e?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default views on 4l60e?

this is more for my parents and not for me, i have to prove that the 4l60e sucks and it is not my car that sucks, so here are my two questions. how long do they usually last and are they problematic? thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

wow that statement sure is pretty dumb! it is probably your driving that kills'em! all you have to do is treat the tranny with respect! and if you get a tranny rebuilt, why not go ahead and have them build it up, not just throw it in there stock? i mean take some money away from your lt4 hotcam or torque convertor that you want and put it into a good tranny!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
wow that statement sure is pretty dumb! it is probably your driving that kills'em! all you have to do is treat the tranny with respect! and if you get a tranny rebuilt, why not go ahead and have them build it up, not just throw it in there stock? i mean take some money away from your lt4 hotcam or torque convertor that you want and put it into a good tranny!
Old 01-05-2005, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

im wondering the same thing because my tranny slips into third and bounces off the rev limiter when your wot
Old 01-06-2005, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i am getting a built tranny and eventually a converter for it, but i am not going to install a cam for a while if at all
Old 01-06-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

wow that statement sure is pretty dumb! it is probably your driving that kills'em! all you have to do is treat the tranny with respect!
To me..that statement is pretty dumb...driving skills don't always kills the 4l60e's. They can't handle what they are supposed to. I've seen them last longer in an all out race car then in a daily driver. (I'm averaging 1 a year in a daily driver that's only seen 3 passes at the track...and she doesn't get street raced..she's in heavy traffic a lot. She does a lot of shifting between 1st and 2nd...what have I worn out twice now...the 1-2 shift. The 4l60e should be able to handle it...but it doesn't.) Treating these trannies with respect isn't going to make them last any longer....

now..back to the original questions..how long they last...everyone is different...some go very quickly...others last awhile. Are the problematic...definitely in stock form...with upgraded internals they are better...but not bullet-proof. When you get a rebuild...go ahead and pay the extra for the upgraded internals, it should help.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

mines the stock trans and has had a 3600 stall in her for about 4 years... probably 200 passes down the track, most 1.6 60's. Still going strong so knock on wood. I think the trans you see in most drag cars last longer because they take the time to check things and replace the fluild and filter pretty often. Bad trans fuild is just like bad oil... it's not gonna protect so somethings gonna break sooner or later. I changed my fuild after every year just about..

but the stocker could last 1 year racing.. or 10 years racing

ive also seen cars go into GM to get worked on and come out worse than before, or break about 2 weeks later. Those that tend to take to GM never really get the trans right in my opinion. They wont ever see my car LMAO...
Old 01-06-2005, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

I'm averaging 1 a year in a daily driver that's only seen 3 passes at the track...and she doesn't get street raced..she's in heavy traffic a lot. She does a lot of shifting between 1st and 2nd...what have I worn out twice now...the 1-2 shift.
wow and you said my statement was dumb! you know what the problem is yet you do nothing about it. thay is why they make aftermarket stuff! so you can replace the stock not as strong stuff. and i bet you dont change your fluid as often as your supposed to either. its all about how you treat it, its not gonna break for no reason, there is always a reason. if these trannies were so bad then they wouldnt put then in a high performance car that is not a stick.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is like all things, hit or miss. Some are good others are bad.
However of course the driver can be the trannies demise and also
so can driving conditions such as city driving and hotter climates.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Teching In

My stock 4l60e bit the dust after 75,000 miles, not bad considering I ran it through the paces pretty damn good. If you get 'em done right, they are a decent trans.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

wow and you said my statement was dumb! you know what the problem is yet you do nothing about it. thay is why they make aftermarket stuff! so you can replace the stock not as strong stuff. and i bet you dont change your fluid as often as your supposed to either. its all about how you treat it, its not gonna break for no reason, there is always a reason. if these trannies were so bad then they wouldnt put then in a high performance car that is not a stick.
Did I say I was running a stock 4l60e anymore? No I didn't...The 2nd replacement was stock because the car was still under warranty and GM replaced that. At the time I didn't have cash to shell out for an entire built replacement tranny..and couldn't afford the down-time for the tranny in the car to be pulled and rebuilt so it went to GM under warranty where they paid for everything and I had a rental car. (This car is my only car to drive everyday....I don't have the option of letting it sit for a week if it's broken. Yes there is a second car in the sig, that's the only car my fiance has to drive everyday to work.) The current tranny that is in there is built with aftermarket parts... we'll see how long it lasts. But we shouldn't have to put aftermarket parts to get a transmission to last, if GM put quality parts in to begin with. While GM used some good things in these cars, they didn't do everything right. engine: good. tranny: only with aftermarket stuff if you're stock or close to it. rear: won't last for a lot of people. clutch: ehh...not too bad if you're careful. I'm of the belief that as they sit from the showroom, they should be able to handle everyday driving on the street..whether it's highway or traffic and not break within a reasonable period of time (at least within the warrenty period, if not slightly longer). They shouldn't need aftermarket parts to do that. But there are a few parts on these cars that don't always hold up to that, and it's not always because of driver error. The tranny and rear are the two that stick out to me, clutch maybe, but that's hard to say because it's hard to tell if it's the clutch or the driver.

I can tell we're two people that are probably always going to disagree on this...the main thing that sent me off was the language you used in your initial response (calling names and such)...(yes..I know I'm at fault to in my reponse....) agree to disagree? (we're each entitled to our own opinions, right?)
Old 01-07-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stone150
this is more for my parents and not for me, i have to prove that the 4l60e sucks and it is not my car that sucks, so here are my two questions. how long do they usually last and are they problematic? thanks
How many miles on it? How many track passes or WOT abuse have you put on it? What is it doing to make you think there is a problem?
Originally Posted by Kenafin_02TA
I'm of the belief that as they sit from the showroom, they should be able to handle everyday driving on the street..whether it's highway or traffic and not break within a reasonable period of time (at least within the warrenty period, if not slightly longer). They shouldn't need aftermarket parts to do that. But there are a few parts on these cars that don't always hold up to that, and it's not always because of driver error. The tranny and rear are the two that stick out to me, clutch maybe, but that's hard to say because it's hard to tell if it's the clutch or the driver.
And if that is what you are doing just driving it normally (competely stock) with no WOT hits or abuse and you keep it up and it goes out on you before 36,000 miles then yeah there is a major issues with that trans, I agree. But as much as GM trys to build a "performance car" from the factory, its not built with the intent for someone to modify it and take it to the track and expect it to hold up. If that was the case dont you think they would still warrany a car with mods done
Old 01-08-2005, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving habits do affect transmission life. WOT 2-3 upshifts and 3-2 downshifts are particularly hard on parts in a 4L60-E.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

treat it well and it works well treat it like crap and you get crap

Quick Reply: views on 4l60e?