Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the Engine and Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling the Engine and Tranny

I've already searched and read a ton of threads about this. I've got a lift, air tools, jackstands, etc. What do I need to do, exactly, to pull the motor and transmission (one piece) out of a 2002 Trans Am? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

yeah I am curious too if anyone has an online web site to do this.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

process is tedius and way to much to type but i can have a motor out of the car from the bottom in about 2.5 hours
Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blacktransam
process is tedius and way to much to type but i can have a motor out of the car from the bottom in about 2.5 hours
Alright, but is it, for the most part, just common sense (take loose everything that looks like it might get in the way)?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:30 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I think I am the most experienced person in this area as I have bee doing it from the bottom since the 80's LOL! I'll post some pics for you but it is reall simple. Jack the car up put the rear tires on the drive on ramps about 8-10 inches high. The front on Jack stands. Disconnet your computer and all the wires on the left hand side of the fender well (Pasenger side). You will need to pull the Padenger side kick panel out and un hook the two conectoer a Blue one and a White one they will go with the motor and trany. Before you start you may want to go have your A/C discharged at a local place. Mine just charges me a minimal fee considering they just put it back in when I am done. Dissconect the ac lines the radiator hoses and remove the you can leave them but it gives you more room to work. remover the sway bar and disconect the struts and spindles from the lower control arms and the tie rod ends to Don't forget the two speed sensor wires one on each side (For the ABS) they stay with the car so disconnect the clips from the K-member. Take the 11 mm out of the steering shaft so it will slide off. Disconnect the throttle and cruise cable if you have it and the fuel lines and the FR brake line and the FL brake line from the Antilock Brake System. remove the heat shield there will be 4 10mm nuts secureing it and then remove the black plastic clip so the brack lines will come with the rest of the set up. You have one 15mm on the driver side junction box it is marked by the big red plastic thing and there is one 10mm ground on the frame rail right below it. your exhaust well just disconnect or remove it up to the cats or the headers. Drive shaft and Tourque are or removed. the associated wiring (O2's etc). If it is a 6 speed take the the shifter out and diconnect tht master cylinder from the slave cylinder ( Push the white plastic retainer into the slave and pull gently) If an Auto disconect the shifter cable. You will need to remove at least one side of the suspension so the motor will be able to roll out ( you will need two jacks or a roll around cart.HOME DEPOT)of the fender well( the highest piont when the car is rasised.) Drivers side takes a T-40 I believe and a 15mm passenger takes 13mm and a 15mm. At this point you would conect your engine hoist to the front bumper support and connect it with what every you chose I use the 1500 ratchet straps so I can make the what ever length I need. and jack the front of the car off the jack stands let it down on your cart or Jacks and the remover the 6 18mm bolts3 on each side and the the 4 15mm on the trans mount (You may need to put a jack right under it to keep it from just falling it depende where you have it supported from) Lift the car off slowly and bee sure to guid the brake lines out of the way of the clips and stuff. That is a lot of typing call me if you need help (713)302-0737.
Jeff
Old 01-05-2005, 10:33 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well that was a quickey and I forgot the brake booster and the battery cables LOL! So Sorry.Good Luck takes me an hour at least it did this time by myself with air tools. You get faster when you do it a lot LOL!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a right up not to long ago. If you searched, you prolly read it. I left my A/C in the car and there was a few items inspector did that I didn't have to do. Don't know if the cars are diffrent or if that is just the way he prefers it, but doing a search for my screen name shuld pull up a thread about K-member.motor removal. Out the bottom is the only way to go.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:46 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what those pictures dont how is how high you really have to get the car up. i had my head lights at eye level . gonna try and drop everything back in this weekend if it doesnt rain.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks. I appreciate all the help. We're (there's two of us, and neither have taken an engine and transmission out the bottom) probably going to try and tackle it tonight. I'll get back on and post up if we get stuck or have any questions.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Do you have to get an alignment done on the car when taking it out the bottom, after putting everything back together?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just finished mine up , pulled the motor from the top and put on the tranny from the bottom . Was easy as hell . Either way is cake if you ask me .
Old 01-06-2005, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE SHIFTER
it sucks if u don't
Old 01-06-2005, 11:49 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

No alignment needed if you don't take the lower control arms loose. And Beast96 you can leave the A/C you just have to bend the line a little to get the electrical connectors to clear the A/C line. And yes I have done it differently before to I take the suspention sometimes etc... It is just depends on what they/you are donig I have a little more experience and try to make it easier for people who haven't done it before and what to expect as far as clearances and how far you have to lift the car up. Like JRP said it is about eye level with te head lights but it isn't a big deal with the rear wheels on the ramps they provide all the support you need. I would just hate for some one to get almost there and find out they didn't have enough room LOL. It is cake for sure. Good luck guys you have my number if you get stuck any where along the way I can guide you over the phone.