Sponsored by:

How to make changes real time

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 03:03 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make changes real time

How would I put a system together that lets me make changes in real time?

I have a 200 TA and I want to have an indepedent engine management system seperate from the rest of the On Board computers.

Which aftermarket systems would allow real time changes and monitoring and logging of data needed for tuning?

What would have to be done to still have whatever stock computer functions are needed and what are those functions?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the FAST system allows for realtime parameter changing. At last check, the box wasn't compatible w/ the LS1 crank position sensor and you had to graft on a clunky-looking aftermarket external one.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe all the aftermarkets allow real time control... FAST, BigStuff3, Megasquirt

Basically they take over engine management... if you have an A4 not sure how they interact (generally at the point you're going w/an aftermarket computer you're making enough power to justify a TH350 or 400)

The aftermarket computers control fueling and spark basically... However, from what I've been told the factory OEM computer is much faster than the aftermarket systems ... but at the moment there is no option for real time tuning on stock PCMs (there's a project in the works by one company but I think it's still a ways off and most likely going to be pricey)

w/the current tuning solutions for OE computers though... flash time is under 30 seconds (such as HP Tuners)

Main advantage of aftermarket computers is they generally use Wideband O2 sensors to compensate fueling at WOT , instead of the stock that uses a static PE value