Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Headlight motor and horn

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Headlight motor and horn

Well, today I replaced the headlight motor gear, with a brass one, instead of the gm plastic el cheapo. I also replaced the horn, which has only had the high tone for a while. The horn I got from AutoZone, for 15.00. It is located in the passenger headlight, get to it from the bottom. I got the headlight gear from Rodney Dickman's Fiero Site
and I got the install instructions, theres also a free video instructions from here bfrankers headlight fix It was pretty easy, just time consuming.

All of these problems stem from water getting under the car. Inside the motor the gear had what I'll call rust gunk around the edge of the gear, I am assuming moisture got in there and rusted the metal piece, which ate up the plastic gear. I cleaned up the inside where the gear sits with starter fluid.

In fact I just replaced the drivers side blinker, after hitting a puddle, this time I used bulb grease maybe it will last a little longer. This site definetly has saved me a lot of trips to the dealer and a lot of money.

I guess next will be my rearend, I am hearing a whining noise at low rpm's, no clunking. What's next GM?? It seems like they would recall all these faulty parts, or make something that blocks the water from getting into these areas.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How long did it take you to replace the gear? I'm doing my sunday.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took about 1.5 hours and 30 minutes of that was waiting for the epoxy to dry that seals the motor back up. I would also suggest using some type of chisel and tapping along the edges to pry the motor housing open with, I watched the guy in the video do it, with a screw driver or something and he really botched the housing up.