Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reluctor ring.. Who can install??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reluctor ring.. Who can install??

I bought an LS6 crank fron one of the forum vendors "as is". He told me there would be no suprises......................... Yeah right..

It came with no Reluctor wheel or crank sensor.. I bought a sensor from GM..

Anyone know who can install one??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

The GM Service Manual says to replace the crankshaft if the reluctor is damaged; kinda interesting though since they sell the reluctor rings as a seperate item. I looked in my Kent-Moore catalog and couldn't find any specialized tools to do this job but it's obvious that someone has to have done it already. I'll be interested to see who offers up a source for this work, I have a couple of cranks laying around that have probably gotten the reluctor banged up and need the same work...
Old 01-09-2005, 01:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We can install the reluctor ring for you. The price is $50. $40 for a new reluctor ring and $10 to install.

Bryan
LME
713-849-4505
Old 01-09-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I make my own but they are for retrofit ecu's and fit them once they have been in the oven for 20 minutes. They just tap on with a big hammer. The GM ones look like they are heated with a torch on one side and then gently tapped on or even just dropped on. It's still a shrink fit. They may need to be fitted in a specific position but I doubt it's that specific. You could get it done by Bryan but if he's not local then maybe buy the ring and mount it after looking at another crank for the correct location
Old 01-09-2005, 02:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The reluctor ring has to be located accurately. You need to use a fixture to clock the ring. If it is more than 2 deg's off the engine will not run. Or not run properly.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

so how do you get the old one off?
thanks
ed
Old 01-09-2005, 03:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If the one you are taking off needs to be put back on, you need to put the crank standing up on the snout and heat the ring up with a tourch. The ring will expand and you just lift it off with a set of pliers. If the ring is not to be used and you don't have a tourch, you can have the crank standing up w/ the flange down and just take a brass chisel or any good size chisel and hit it where it is closest to the counter weights. It will fall right off with a couple of hits.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bryan@LME
The reluctor ring has to be located accurately. You need to use a fixture to clock the ring. If it is more than 2 deg's off the engine will not run. Or not run properly.
Thanks Bryan, that's something I always wondered about as there appear to be no timing marks. I presumed the pcm worked everything out for itself. So you have to locate the ring at an angle, set relative to a tdc reference point, presumably no 1 journal?

Mike.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The insallation tool I use locates off the dowel in the crank flange and the dowel hole in the reluctor ring.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bryan@LME
The insallation tool I use locates off the dowel in the crank flange and the dowel hole in the reluctor ring.
Thanks Bryan, can't get it better then that!

For my triggers diameter I did my sums a while back and worked out a couple of degrees change in position could be worth up to 3 degrees timing so I have to correct using a trim function on the ecu.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bryan, I already purchased the reluctor ring. If I cant find a local, can I just ship both to you and pay you for the install and shipping?

How much for the fixture/tool?

May be cheaper than shipping a crank both ways!

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We made our own fixture. I know Goodson makes one. I am not sure how much it costs. If you already have the ring I will be happy to install it for you.

LME
6040 Brittmore rd. ste J
Houston, TX 77041
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Commenting on a old post here... I have a question. If there is a slight bend in 1 tooth of the outer reluctor ring, can the reluctor ring be bent back? Will bending the reluctor ring back cause any operation issues?

Quick Reply: Reluctor ring.. Who can install??