Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catallytic converter, emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default catallytic converter, emissions

I might get a ws6 within a few years, but just to know... I would want my exhaust loud and i want either magnaflow or borla. I want to take the catallytic converter off to make it louder but then to get the vehicle inspected, is it easy to put it back on....or is it better to get an aftermarket converter? and will the aftermarket converter still be loud?
Old 01-09-2005, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

search button is your friend and this has been asked way too many times, if your worried about inspection, get O2 sims, unless you inspection has the sniffer test, then get high-flow cats
Old 01-12-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by futuref-body
I might get a ws6 within a few years, but just to know... I would want my exhaust loud and i want either magnaflow or borla. I want to take the catallytic converter off to make it louder but then to get the vehicle inspected, is it easy to put it back on....or is it better to get an aftermarket converter? and will the aftermarket converter still be loud?

You know you don't have to get rid of the cats to have a loud car right? Long tube headers + Y pipe w/ cats + borla open (or cut out) will make your car insanly loud. Plus you will still probabally pass emissions.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Both replies above cover everything that needs to be said.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by futuref-body
Judging by what I read here: http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/air/ms/vim.html#im12 I'd say that like *most* States, Texas does no visual or physical emissions testing on an OBDII car. ALL cars made 1996 and after are OBDII compliant. All they'd do is plug into the port (in front of the driver's right knee) and see if you have any emissions codes present or pending. Remove any codes before testing. Simple.

BTW, having cars can have cats and still be way more than illegal for noise restrictions. I have the SLP longtubes, big cats and the loudmouth. Because of what's being fed into that exhaust system, it is more than jackhammer/concert/big gun volume!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSINFUL
BTW, having cars can have cats and still be way more than illegal for noise restrictions. I have the SLP longtubes, big cats and the loudmouth. Because of what's being fed into that exhaust system, it is more than jackhammer/concert/big gun volume!
ive got stock cats and exhaust manifolds, only the LM and already got a ticket, the cop even said "its ungodly loud"