Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denatured Alcohol for Smog

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Denatured Alcohol for Smog

Can someone give me the mixing instructions for putting denatured alcohol in the gas to help reduce emmisions? I need to smog by the end of March and would like to get it done now. Also, the place I'm getting smogged is about a 2 hour drive away, so I need a full tank of gas. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10% ethanol is what I used to run. Keep in mind that FI cars with O2 sensors will not get the same maximum benefit as the old carburator cars did with this trick. Still it will help reduce HC and CO. Make sure that you use only stuff from an unopened can as these things tend to absorb water( that's why they use these as gas line antifreeze)
Old 01-10-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

TTT, anyone else
Old 01-11-2005, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

My friend ran 1 gallon alky to 8 gallons gas. Failed miserably on NOX the day before (no alky) and passed by even more with the alky.

He has an LS1...BONE stock except for EGR removal.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

1:8 = 12.5% is about the max. Beyond that, performance decreases. 1:10 is about perfect, that is what you get around here (S.E. MO) in a lot of fuel.
It cleans up the carbon in the combustion chambers and piston tops well also.
FWIW, I started using 'Champion Brands' fuel system cleaner about 5 months ago and use it about every 5th tank full and picked up 1 mpg.
Good luck with the smog test!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Two words for you ... "Pre Test"

Do that first, to make sure the car passes otherwise it might get flagged even if you pass the later on.

Have you got catalytic convertors on? Make sure they are well heated prior to test.

Do you have PCM S/W? If yes, you can lower the O2 switch points a little to help out.

Why do you have to drive so far? Probably found a place that will overlook the longtubes. If you do a pre test at a local shop, that will give you a very good indicator if they visually inspect the LT.

PS I worked in Auburn for about 1 1/2 months last summer. Nice place.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
Two words for you ... "Pre Test"

Do that first, to make sure the car passes otherwise it might get flagged even if you pass the later on.

Have you got catalytic convertors on? Make sure they are well heated prior to test.

Do you have PCM S/W? If yes, you can lower the O2 switch points a little to help out.

Why do you have to drive so far? Probably found a place that will overlook the longtubes. If you do a pre test at a local shop, that will give you a very good indicator if they visually inspect the LT.

PS I worked in Auburn for about 1 1/2 months last summer. Nice place.
Auburn is a dump...but whatever.

I will probably throw in 2 gallons of denatured with a full tank of gas. I don't mind if performance will go down. Also, I am going to do a pre-test and if it fails I will probably have to tune it really lean to pass.

Also, what exactly should I buy to put in? Denatured alcohol, ethanol, etc... Brands?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Exclamation

Also, what exactly should I buy to put in? Denatured alcohol, ethanol, etc... Brands?[/QUOTE]
What ever "wally world" has. Remember, packaged denatured alky is only 70-80% but no matter.
IF you can find ethanol or methanol, they are more likely to be 99% but may cost more.
2 gals of denatured alky @ .50 a pint is gonna cost $8.00.
2 gal of ethanol/methanol @ 2.50 a gallon will cost you $5.00!

Quick Reply: Denatured Alcohol for Smog