Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

remote car start

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote car start

does anyone have one on there m6?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I don't and wouldn't!

But it can be done some what safe. I think it was DEI that makes a magnet ring. to see that the shifter is not in gear! Or better use the Negitive parking brake wire, and get the the habit of not putting it in gear.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:53 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done , but even with the parking brake up , it can still jump forward if left in gear accidently. Not adviseable. Some companies make remote starts for manuals that you have to go through some complicated crap to use it. I'd just stay away from it all together unless you have an auto.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Default remote start on M6

Originally Posted by mean00SS
does anyone have one on there m6?
Not really a good idea unless you are the ONLY, I mean ONLY one driving it.

My girlfriend (at the time, she is now the wife) and I bought a mustang, v6, 5-speed. We didn't exactly live in the best apartment complex, so she wanted an alarm on it for piece of mind. I went down to this shop I used to do some work for and got a good price on an alarm (Prestige) with remote start, windows up and down, etc.. It had the works. Got it all put in and everything worked great. She was happy.
Well, we went out of town for the weekend and we left the mustang at her parents house. Well we get a call Saturday night...Her dad had put it into a 3' ditch half full of water. Reason being, the remote start. He was not familiar with the alarm, and didn't hear the chirp and the locks unlocking. So he started pushing buttons and suddenly the car starts and jumps into the ditch where it dies. He calls a tow truck and they come get it out. He tries to start it and everything is going crazy, lights on dash speedo, tach. Ended up being the computer needed to be taken apart and dried out. Thank god.

So my advice to you...

If you want it great, just remember to leve it out of gear, or get one of the systems for a manual tranny. Also put an on/off switch on it so that someone doesn't accidentally start it.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Any quality remote starter will work (you need to bypass the PASSkey system and the clutch switch - not very difficult). However, you're going to have "experts" jumping all over you saying how dangerous a remote starter is when installed in a manual. "What happens if you leave the car in gear and try to start it? It will run around the parking lot chasing little children and barking at dogs!" or something to that effect.

I have had remote starters in two previous manual transmission cars and never had a problem. Make sure you buy and install one that has the tachometer connection that makes it give up trying to start the car if the engine doesn't reach a certain RPM level in a couple of seconds. That prevents it from continuing to run the starter motor if you leave it in gear. Always make sure the parking brake is engaged. Then, if you happen to try to start it in gear, it will just rock a little and give up. The starter motor is simply not strong enough to drive a heavy car, in gear, against a fairly high compression V8 engine and engaged parking brake, around the parking lot. Trust me, I had it happen several times and the car never moved an inch (of course, it didn't start either).