kia

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kia

my brother took moms 1995 kia sephia to the track last night and ran a 10.8 @ 65 mph in the 1/8 mile. it is 5-speed with a 2 chamber flowmaster. i believe it is a 1.8 ltr. i was wondering what everybody thought of the time it ran....
Old 01-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by layz
my brother took moms 1995 kia sephia to the track last night and ran a 10.8 @ 65 mph in the 1/8 mile. it is 5-speed with a 2 chamber flowmaster. i believe it is a 1.8 ltr. i was wondering what everybody thought of the time it ran....
some people here run faster in the 1/4.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people here are "Quicker" in the quarter mile. Faster usually pertains to trap speeds, and I think i can trap higher than 65 on my skateboard in the quarter.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Do they make a 2 chamber flow master for a 1 1/4" pipe?

Anyway, that isn't a spectacular time even for a small 4 cylinder, but as long as he was having fun and not being a nuisance at the track, run what you brung.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
Do they make a 2 chamber flow master for a 1 1/4" pipe?

Anyway, that isn't a spectacular time even for a small 4 cylinder, but as long as he was having fun and not being a nuisance at the track, run what you brung.
That is a topic of debate on a lot forums. I agree that if you pay your entry fee, then you have the right to run. But it really sucks when you only get 3 runs on test N tune night because there are people with stock geos and Jeeps running 17+ second passes.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_ws6
That is a topic of debate on a lot forums. I agree that if you pay your entry fee, then you have the right to run. But it really sucks when you only get 3 runs on test N tune night because there are people with stock geos and Jeeps running 17+ second passes.
LOL! Its not so much he 17 second pass, but the 3 minutes it takes some idiot to actually stage. It is rediculous that a 17 second car would need to burn out past the staging lights and that happens quite often.

Not to mention the front wheel drive cars that plant the front tires (stock tires i might add) right in the middle of the water box. Then they pull out of the box nice and slow to make absolutely sure they drag as much water to the starting line as they can.

Everyone should have fun at the track, but unfortunately many people don't take it as seriously as they should.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad2000ss

Everyone should have fun at the track, but unfortunately many people don't take it as seriously as they should.
AMEN!!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happens in any hobby. its like that group of guys that go golfing and suck and dont' care. hit ***** all over, rip up the lawn, etc. that drives the folks there who are serious nuts. you can see that kinda stuff in any hobby/sport.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Motorboater

not that i don't agree. i get figgin livid when idiots drag water up to the line or tear the line up spinning their pep boys tires on a 16 second civic dumping the clutch.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
not that i don't agree. i get figgin livid when idiots drag water up to the line or tear the line up spinning their pep boys tires on a 16 second civic dumping the clutch.
yep, its actually dangerous for us serious guys, i got stuck running behind street class in a semifinal round bracket racing one night, when i let the clutch go at 6k i almost imediatly went sideways from all the slipery crap from all them damn cars. i fuggin hate people that dont go around the water with radials.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Motorboater

i have refused to run behind a car that does that before and so have my friends.

most tracks around here are good about not letting the idiots on street tires drive through the box but not always.

one of the tracks we go to we always run in the pro tree lane..almost always all slicked up cars and they run the lane by itself so nobody next to you going down the track either.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why couldn't people just have answered the fellers question without rolling their eyes or bitching about how slow it is. Eveyone has to start off somewhere. I will agree that new people rolling through the water box with treaded tire can be irritating but come on,,,,, did everyone start off with 10 second cars and know exactly where the satging lights were?

I'll most likely catch hell for posting this but I get irritated with hypocrisy and people's lack of ability of putting themselves into other folks shoes. I see no need to roll my eyes at a 17 second car,,, or laugh at folks who think that their 15 second Civic is fast,,,, or get my panties in a wad cause the guy in front of me can't seem to figure out the lights.

Like the feller said,,, if you see someone drag water into your lane,,, refuse to run untill they clean it up,, I can uderstand that. Why don't you jusyt casually bring up those points to the guys that are dragging water into the lane. Seems like that would be more constructive than making fun of them. If a 17 second car is "wasting time" by doing a burnout,,,, well,,, it is his time, get over it.

Guess what,,,,, for most of us {hmmm, maybe I better say "them"},,,, it is a hobby. Most of use/them are not John Force or whom ever making a crap load of money. Maybe some folks just take themselves too seriously with this "hobby". Should only the weekly "serious" bracket racers and heads-up pros be allowed to partake of this sport?

Back to his question. I ran a 10.69@64.34mph in my Rio. I was making grudge runs with a Civic {beat him 2 out of 3 times} during our club's F-Body shootout. I ran the Firebird a few times, decided to take the driver out for some fun and I had alot of fun. A couple of the races with the Civic were won/loss by less than a fender. I have fun with my hobby.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Ginger Hater

Well 10.8 is respectible for a Kia. Most the cars the have 4 cylinders are running 11's and 12's at the 1/8 mile trask @ home. Hell...my friends 92 Camaro RS 6 cylinder with a descent amount of mods could only best a 10.8

I wouldn't expect to see something like that happen. But i heard one of the Kia's has a miata motor in it. Dunno how true it is.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Judd
Eveyone has to start off somewhere. I will agree that new people rolling through the water box with treaded tire can be irritating but come on,,,,, did everyone start off with 10 second cars and know exactly where the satging lights were?

I'll most likely catch hell for posting this but I get irritated with hypocrisy and people's lack of ability of putting themselves into other folks shoes. I see no need to roll my eyes at a 17 second car,,, or laugh at folks who think that their 15 second Civic is fast,,,, or get my panties in a wad cause the guy in front of me can't seem to figure out the lights.

Like the feller said,,, if you see someone drag water into your lane,,, refuse to run untill they clean it up,, I can uderstand that. Why don't you jusyt casually bring up those points to the guys that are dragging water into the lane. Seems like that would be more constructive than making fun of them. If a 17 second car is "wasting time" by doing a burnout,,,, well,,, it is his time, get over it.
I agree with what you are saying. Everyone does need a place to start. My first time to the track I had my trouble with the starting line. Drove a little bit too far and had to throw it in reverse. BUT I DIDN'T DO IT AGAIN. It only takes one time to find the line. I've sat in the stands and watched the same car over run the staging lights 3 or 4 times in a row. There is no reason at all a car with stock tires should have to burn them off in the water, let along burn them off past the staging lights. Drive around the water and dump the clutch on the dry pavement to clean them up.

Do not call your friends on your cell phone before you stage to give them the play by play (yes this has happened more than once). When the light turns green GO!!! There are no do-overs. If you weren't paying attention that's no one else's fault but your own. Do not waste everyone's time because you forgot to turn on your neon undercarriage lights or strobe lights.

Everyone has a learning curve, perhaps some people learn a bit slower than others, but the most important thing is common courtesy and RESPECT. Just like driving on the street remember there is more than just you out there. Taking something seriously doesn't mean you can't have fun. These are 3000+ pound potential killing machines we are driving. There is a lot more at risk than just yourself or your car.

The people you see doing these kinds of things just want to show off. If you're driving a 10.8 second 1/8 mile car or a 8.5 second 1/8 mile car you should always have the same respect for others. I have more respect for a 10.8 car that can properly stage and rip a .502 reaction time than an 8.5 second car that can find the staging lights for the 4th time in a row and wants a do-over because he/she wasn't paying attention to the light.

As for layz, that 1/8 mile time translates into a 16.5-17.00 1/4 mile time. Its hard to say if that is a good time for the car without knowing what kind of horsepower it puts down. For your sake, I hope your mom knows you took her car to the track. I'd hate to have to explain to my mom that I wrecked her car at the track.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Judd
Why couldn't people just have answered the fellers question without rolling their eyes or bitching about how slow it is. Eveyone has to start off somewhere.
yes, but this is LS1tech.com not kiatech.com. I could care less what a car runs that is probably slower than my minivan.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

yes, but this is LS1tech.com not kiatech.com. I could care less what a car runs that is probably slower than my minivan.

If you don't care then don't post in the thread.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

my brother actually owns the car now and he dynoed it at 122 hp. i think not bad for a bone stock 1.8 ltr KIA with a flowmaster on it. it must be all that power from the flowmaster to run a 10.8 @ 65mph. everybody at the track was surprised that it ran that. i am sure that the KIA would take that minivan any day.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by layz
my brother actually owns the car now and he dynoed it at 122 hp. i think not bad for a bone stock 1.8 ltr KIA with a flowmaster on it. it must be all that power from the flowmaster to run a 10.8 @ 65mph. everybody at the track was surprised that it ran that. i am sure that the KIA would take that minivan any day.
maybe, but if I put a flowmaster on it look out.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Ginger Hater

maybe, but if I put a flowmaster on it look out.
thats a good 25% gain in hp......watch out for the mini's they are pretty fierce competition
Old 01-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spazdout
thats a good 25% gain in hp......watch out for the mini's they are pretty fierce competition
Several companies are building old body style minis with stock vtec motors in em and they are close to stock f body performance, even though they look like matchbox cars. But it would be a bitch to get beat by one on the street.....

Quick Reply: kia