Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

and the smell is...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 03:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default and the smell is...?

whenever i drive my car up to redline, i can smell a very strange smell, not something like i've smelled before. when i pop the hood after i smell it, i don't smell anything under the hood. so, i began to think it was the clutch, and then to test whether or not it was the clutch, i did this:

i drove the car to redline and shifted. result - really bad smell. i put the car in neutral and revved it up to near redline with no clutch involved. result - no smell. then i drove the car up to near redline, but left the car in gear and let the gear wind the car down. result - i could smell the smell some, but not nearly as much as when i actually shifted.

does this sound like my clutch is burning?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:09 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats what it sounds like to me. when you shift, you put a large strain on the clutch, especially when powershifting. when you coast down in gear, the clutch is enguaged the whole time, and nothing is sliding on anything. during the time it is coasting down, the smell will dissipate. you are getting the slight smell on the coast down run, because it is sliding while you are accelerating, the engine is revving faster than the clutch disk.

when you go from say 1st to 2nd quickly, chances are the clutch isnt properly rev matched and you will get some sliding of the clutch.

i would keep driving it untill it goes south my clutch has flat out slid like it was oiled or somthing thru 2 gears on 2 different occasions. it still gets out the hole hard and runs good though. i pulled the tranny a few weeks ago and the disk looked great, the pressureplate and flywheel had a few hotspots, but nothing i cant live with and get a few more miles out of.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

clutch for sure
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like your style Blur
Old 01-12-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

you farted...whenever u press the clutch with ur left leg.... hahahahahaah jk
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leave the clutch alone for awhile till you just can't stand it...they are expensive to replace