New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 4th gen enthusiast looking for advice before purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4th gen enthusiast looking for advice before purchase...

Hi all. I am a new member who has owned several 2nd and 3rd gens, but never a 4th gen. I've been planning to get into one by the spring though, especially since prices seem to have come way down the past year or so. There's one in particular I was hoping to check out later this week, but there's one thing I'm uncertain about that I figured someone with experience could help me with. I've been searching online for TA's in my area and came up with a 2000 about 30 miles away that seemed like what I was looking for. What struck me as odd is that it has the Ram Air hood in the picture, but I thought only WS6's had that, which the ad made no mention of it being, and the price was more consistent with a regular TA. I checked it out in person, but the place was closed so I couldn't look at it in real good light or see the RPO codes. What I did find strange, was that the "Ram Air" script along the bulge in the hood was up top by the window. All the ones I've seen had the script lower down by the openings, although I don't know if it varies by year (like say, the old IROC-Z door decals). I was worried that either a) it was crashed, since that's often what prompts people to upgrade the hood, or b) it's a (possibly poor fitting) aftermarket hood. I've had Harwood and ASCD hoods on my older cars and they always gave me problems. I ran a Carfax, which appears clean. There's definitely no possibility a Ram Air hood came on a non-WS6 right? Here's a picture, maybe someone can shed more light on what they think. http://images.autotrader.com/images/..._A.565x404.jpg (sorry, having difficulty attaching a file)
Thanks again, this seems like a nice forum.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Launching!

yea, its not a WS6
Old 01-11-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some one just wanted the hood.......
Old 01-11-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's what I'm figuring. It's not being sold or priced as a WS6, and I don't even care that it's not one, they're outside of what I can spend right now anyways. I was secretly hoping maybe it was a WS6 and the place didn't know what they had, but my much bigger concern is that it was wrecked or the hood will be ill-fitting and/or mismatched in sunlight. The Carfax was clean, and I'd have to assume if a 2000 got hit hard enough to damage the hood that it would be reported. Are there any indicators I could look for as to whether it's a GM WS6 hood or an aftermarket?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a WS6.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a common thing for these bird guys to buy a WS6 hood and strap it onto a different car. I've seen good ones, and I've seen bad ones. The only way to tell is by looking at it's fitment, and then just poping it and checking it out that way. In the end, it's just a hood, but I hear ya when you say aftermarket hoods are a PITA. Just check it out for yourself. If you like it you do, and if you don't, then you don't. There's plenty of birds in the area you say. Good luck on your search. The 4th gen F-body is awsome!