Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filter with BGRA

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air filter with BGRA

I have searched and can't find anything. I know I have read it before, but I want to make sure I have the facts before I buy anything. I am getting a new lid today or tomorrow, and I am thinking about getting a Holley Powershot air filter. I have read the pros/cons of using an oil-based filter (I have a paper fram now), but I thought I had read somewhere that it is better to use one if you have the BGRA (which I do). That maybe it blocks out water from your engine or something. I think if you just take care of it and only put a little oil (not a lot), it won't mess with the MAF or anything. Supposedly it fits well.

So I want to know:
1. Is it better to use a paper or oil-based air filter with the BGRA system?
2. Do the oil-based filters trap as much dirt as the paper? I know they flow as much or more, but do they trap the dirt? I read a post where Patman denounced K&N because of bad results in his oil analysis as far as trapping dirt.
3. Is Holley Powershot the way to go?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

1. No need for the oil/cotton with a BGRA, IMO. Many people use the BG setup with paper filters and no issues.

2. No, the oil/cotton filters do not trap quite as much dirt. As you said, members like Patman have proven this with oil tests.

3. If you insist on using an oil/cotton filter, go with the Holley. But still, I'd just stick with your Fram....
Old 01-11-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. The only thing is, while most people say that not much water gets to the filter, I have had other experiences. While driving in pouring rain for about 30 miles without the rainblocker, the filter was very damp in some areas. I usually use the rainblocker, but I didn't that time. I just want to make sure that the paper filter is fine to use with the BGRA, and that the Holley wouldn't be better.

Edit: Also, just thought of something. Since the Holley fits better than the K&N (better than the paper?) would that make a slight difference in trapping dirt/water?
Old 01-12-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have the BGRA but I sealed the intake myself and took out the baffles. No way in hell would I use a paper filter in a daily driver with a sealed intake. Soggy paper rips. Not to mention it will flow like crap for along time while wet.

The Holley Powershot fits much better than the K&N. Just be careful oiling it up.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I never drove mine in the rain, but I've seen many members here post in the external engine section that even after high pressure car washes no water made it to the filter. Nor did it in heavy rains on the expressway.

Anyway, there is a rain blocker that you can get with the kit that will prevent this issue if it worries you.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's the thing, I usually use the rainblocker, but I just wanted to make sure that for light rain, sudden downpours, car washes, etc. that it wouldn't be better to have the holley. For now, I'm going to stick with paper, but I may change down the road.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Stick with the paper filter. I had both baffles removed on my WS6 and used a paper filter, never had any kind of rain blocker, never had any problems either.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either my setup flows better than the BGRA or people are driving in some really light rain. My filter gets soaked in anything more than intermediate rain. IMO a paper filter is just asking for it.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Dal1as
IMO a paper filter is just asking for it.
Not if you use the rain blocker.....
Old 01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much of a power difffernce does the rain blocker make...i never tried it
Old 01-13-2005, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 777
how much of a power difffernce does the rain blocker make...i never tried it
Not sure, but all you have to do to use it is pop the gasket out, pop the blocker in, and pull one of the drainage plugs out. It's a 5 second deal to swap from rain mode to regular and back again......
Old 01-14-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it is really convenient, I use it all the time. But like some above have said, if I don't use it, my filter gets really wet. Although I have never actually sealed the BGRA (long story, I'm waiting on my new lid so I can trim the edge to make it smooth so the gasket lasts longer). Anyway, I either run with the rainblocker, or without anything (rainblocker or gasket). I can notice a decrease in mileage and power. It could be my imagination, but I doubt it. It sounds different too. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Quick Reply: Air filter with BGRA